Parking On The Shoulder, 3 Dead

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Opus, Mar 6, 2019.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yea I know. Rush hour just jumps out of nowhere so one can never plan for it...
    Planning means just that, planning.
    I'm sorry you cannot plan like the millions of other drivers can ...

Bud A. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    It's a bit surprising how many want to assign so much of the blame to the truck being on the shoulder, until you think about how many wheel holders can't keep it between the lines.

Truck shouldn't have been there but the responsibility for the crash belongs to the four wheeler.

Socal Xpress and DenBob Thank this.
  4. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    You're right. I was confusing it with my company's 50 mile PC rule when you're not under a load, sorry. It is a fairly recent change to the rules, though.

ZVar Thanks this.
  5. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I just realized last week that there actually are companies like that. I counted 27 trucks parked on ramps on I-70 after sunrise, so they must've stopped around midnight or later. Six of those trucks were pulling trailers from the same small company. They were not all on one side of the road, either. Obviously it's company policy to drive till you can't, then park wherever you end up.

Muddydog79 Thanks this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I can't believe the State police aren't moving these trucks parked on the shoulder who arent broken down.

Transam driver this morning parked on the shoulder of 71 in Ohio, curtains closed no flashers on or triangles out and a state trooper sitting in the middle of the interstate running radar right across from him...

I'll have to check isnt there a regulation requiring triangles out and flashers be on when parked on the shoulder?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Muddydog79 and Bud A. Thank this.
  7. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Yes, I believe 10 or 15 minutes parked on side of road and triangle must be used.
    Edit: actually within 10 minutes or earlier.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    JonJon78 Thanks this.
  8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I think that is going to vary from state to state.

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Put a Jersey barrier in the middle of the Interstate and when someone runs into it and gets killed see who the courts assign blame to.

Or, if you're a stupid woman driver in Quebec, don't stop your car in the leftmost lane of the freeway to help some ducklings across the road.

Or, you can search this forum for the knock-'em-down-drag-'em-out @Pedigreed Bulldog and I had about a truck driver stopped on I-10 in Arizona. o_O

I don't see this as any different. The shoulder IS part of the road.

10. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    If the suv was broke down there and the big truck hit them, killing 3, I'll put money on the fact that some who are ready to hang the truck driver in this case wouldn't be blaming the 4 wheeler in that case.

The four wheeler is 100% responsible for the crash IMO. The truck contributed to the severity though.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  11. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Expeditor and not4hire Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.