Passing your CLP/CDL Endorsement Tests - HowTo

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by tscottme, Aug 23, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

To get your Commercial Learner's Permit or pass your CDL test for your endorsements you need to pass computer tests covering the endorsements you are seeking, pass a Pre-Trip Inspection test, pass a backing skills test, and pass a road test. I want to explain how you can pass your tests for your endorsements. For a CLP or CDL-A you need to pass at least General Knowledge, Combination, and Air-Brakes. What I will explain applies to ANY endorsement test which is a multiple-choice test and which the questions and correct answers are published. BTW, I recommend EVERY CDL applicant plan and attempt to pass:

General
    Combination
    Air-Brakes
    Doubles/Triple Trailer
    Tanker *
    HazMat **

* Tanker endorsement is required for several types of freight that can be carried inside on on other types of trailers. Obviously, Tanker endorsement is required to pull tanker trailers, such as those used for liquid fuels, food-grade liquids, and various liquid chemicals. Even if you never ever want to pull those types of trailers you should get the Tanker endorsement because if any customer wants to load bulk containers that are capable of containing more than 119 gallons or 1,000 pounds the Tanker endorsement will be required.

**The HazMat requirements are several steps and you can't complete them all in one day or one visit to your state driver license office, which I will refer to as DMV. Your state may call it something else. The total costs for the HazMat endorsements in my state are nearly $200 for the test, state fee, fee for fingerprints and background check from TSA.

I use one web site TruckerCountry.com, but other web sites have most of the same tests. They seem to have EVERY version of the HazMat exams. It's the web site I use every time I renew my HazMat. BTW, all of your endorsements are valid as long as your CDL is valid. With the exception of HazMat which must be renewed every 5 years, your other endorsements do not expire. You pass them once and they are good forever. The exception is when moving states. If you move states you may be required to takes the computers tests for some or all of your endorsements. The HazMat endorsement will need to be re-taken if you change your CDL from your current state to another state if you move.

THIS IS NOT HOW YOU LEARN THE SUBJECT. This is how you study to pass any multiple-choice test where the questions and answers are known in advance. It is up to you and your CDL school to teach you how to use the information contained in the tests for each endorsement. Passing the endorsement test does not mean you know all you need to be safe in a truck.

Read the question, look at the answer key for the correct answer. You are not just looking for A,B,C, or D. You are looking at the words of the correct answer. Now, read ONLY THE CORRECT ANSWER. Never read a wrong answer. Repeat this for every question. Work for about 20 minutes and then take a break, even a 5 minutes break. Begin with the next question. Read the question, READ ONLY THE CORRECT ANSWER. Do this on your schedule until you have completed all possible questions. YOU ARE NOT MEMORIZING ANSWERS. You read them and continue.

On TruckerCountry.com I use the Classic Mode and then pick test version 1. Once the first questions on the test appears do not pick ANY answers, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on "Calculate Your Grade". This will produce 0% score and an answer key at the bottom of the page. When the answer key says the correct answer is "D" go to question #1 and read the question and then read the words for only answer D. I cannot emphasize strongly enough that you are seeking to read every question and onle read the correct answers. NEVER READ A WRONG ANSWER. If you use this method, do not read each possible answer and then pick the familiar answer. Read the question and then glance at the possible answers as a whole and see if one of them seems familiar, read all of that possible answer to confirm it is familiar and the answer makes sense. Then choose it and move to the next question.

Once you have gone through all all available endorsement test versions use the same website and take the test for each version. Once you can routinely pass any of the versions with 90% or better, and never less than 90% score you are ready to go take the real test.

Repeat this as much as you need. Take as long as you want.
    On test day the goal IS NOT to remember all of the words in each of the correct answers. The goal is to read the question on the computer screen and then see if any of the possible answers on the screed A-D or 1-4 seem familiar. Pick the familiar answer. Each state may have one or two question on the official test that are not in the practice tests. So read through your state Driver License manual, or just accept you may not get a 100% and move on. I think you can miss 4 or 5 out of 20 or 30 questions. Nobody outside of the DMV will see your test scores. I can think of know benefit to getting 100% score versus 80% score other than pride in your results.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eric4Yeshua1337

Eric4Yeshua1337 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    I took a lot of online practice tests from this website! Very helpful.

tscottme and Opus Thank this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I did the same. Kept doing them until I could ace them. When I took the actual test, it was a breeze

tscottme and Eric4Yeshua1337 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.