Payroll advance for company related expenses

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by burnonfire, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    The drivers have always done it that way , i can hear a fleet manager mumble that , your right on the money Payphone Mentality, well said.
    Same thing goes with a washout at the beacon , if a outfit cant afford to set up a account , there in my rearview , same with ez pass for tolls.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    When I retired I would say close to 75% of the BBs had accounts. All we had to do was contact the company and get authorization. This stuff was never a problem for me, I guess I must have had a sheltered life.

Capacity Thanks this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Plus you just financed the company intrest free for a pay period.

5. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    I put everything I can on my points credit card; I’ve always been reimbursed. My company is testing a system that no longer requires any abscesses.

When I started here, I was filling out the payroll forms and one asked how much of each settlement goes to my EFS account… I didn’t know so I put down 15%… I’ve never had to request an advance to pay lumbers.

6. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

In the right situation as a employee I wouldnt wait a hour for a com check for a 5 dollar light. My past employer gave us 100.00 and company credit card, or fuel card. I maxed mine out one month. I was denied on 700.00 of diesel. Had a call to go on. Swiped my personal card. 8am with a fuel sip he handed me 750.00 cash. He probably was the only employer I'd do that for. But I understood how and why it happened, and knew it was no issue.

He was the kind of guy you do that for.

7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    This is not a big deal. If you don’t like it, move along to another company. I wonder, however, if there is a bit of confusion with what’s really happening.

May Trucking was my first company. If I needed to scale, I would simply get my DM to put the money on my Commdata card. I would pay the $10.00 with my credit card (by my choice). The other option was get her (my DM) give me some code for an “ECheck” (I don’t recall exactly how that worked). But, my point is that it was much easier for me to pay it with my credit card than to get her to get me some echeck code. And, like I said, she put the $10.00 on my Commdata card as soon as I called her about it. Our paychecks were also put on the Commdata card. I’d just look to make sure everything was there and the.b move it to my. And account. Easy peasy!

Bottom line, I did it that way because it was MUCH easier. And, I had my money before I ever used my credit card on the deal. Now, for major crap like lumpers, I just did the echeck thing.

Now, for a VERY important dilemma.

When I’m not busy chasing down a Kentuckian, or two, I like to bass fish. My last five outings have resulted in catching 8, 5, 8, 9 and 6. For those not familiar with bass fishing, those are respectable numbers. Late summer (transition to fall) is always great around here (Arkansas). *I* am always on the water ready to fish as soon as it’s daylight.

Well, today, Big Maude wanted to go this afternoon. She NEVER goes with me in the mornings. Big Maude ain’t a early riser! Anyway, I said “Sure, we can go out this afternoon”. So, what did we catch?

Frank - 1 bass
    Big Maude - Like 10 freaking million bream! Bream??!!!! Are you kidding me? Those pint sized guppys shouldn’t even be considered a fish!

Now, Big Maude wants to go again!

What the hell? I feel this is a MAJOR infraction on the sanctity of all that is holy to the undead one’s relaxing off time.

How can I bass fish with that overgrown boat anchor half capsizing the SS Nightcrawler and using a cork and crickets????!!!!

I don’t know what I’m going to do! You just don’t say no to Big Maude, unless you’ve lost interest in your biting fangs!

8. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    This is how its always been done. For decades it was the only way a company could pay for things out here. For most stuff, like shop bills or supplies, it can be paid over the phone now but not everything can. Many shippers and receivers have had no interest in changing their process for late fees, unload fees, etc and the trucking company isnt given a choice on how to pay the bill.

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    That's what the Buggy and Buggy Whip manufacturers told Henry Ford, look where we are now! Lol:cool:

Rickp Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I think the primary reason people including the OP have their panties all in a wad is the carriers hold the driver responsible for the cash. It's simply a sound business practice. If you don't like doing this find a carrier that lets you have a credit card or gives you large sums of money! This system has been in place for 30+ years now.

11. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    My point is that it isnt just trucking companies that would have to change for this to longer be needed

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.