Per diem - partial days question.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by TallJoe, Nov 26, 2016.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I always calculated 3/4 of the day that I left or returned on - whether that day was 1 hour or 23 hours.

I have no idea why - apart from the knowledge that I've been doing it right for years - and can't be argued with.

So there.

Nostalgic and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    From https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

Special rate for transportation workers.

You can use a special standard meal allowance if you work in the transportation industry. You
    are in the transportation industry if your work:
    Directly involves moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train, or truck, and
    Regularly requires you to travel away from home and, during any single trip, usually
    involves travel to areas eligible for different standard meal allowance rates.

If this applies, you can claim a standard meal allowance of $59 a day ($65 for travel outside the
    continental United States) from January 1 through September 30, 2015, and $63 a day
    ($68 for travel outside the continental United States) from October 1 through December 31,

Travel for days you depart and return.

For both the day you depart for and the day you return from a business trip, you must prorate the standard meal allowance (figure a reduced amount for each day). You can do so by one of two methods.
    Method 1: You can claim 3/4 of the standard meal allowance.
    Method 2: You can prorate using any method that you consistently apply and that is in accordance with reasonable business practice.

Using the special rate for transportation workers eliminates the need for you to deter-
    mine the standard meal allowance for every area where you stop for sleep or rest. If you
    choose to use the special rate for any trip, you must use the special rate (and not use the regular standard meal allowance rates) for all trips you take that year.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    So, as it usually is with most government regulations and subsequent explanations of their own regulations, the wording from the IRS I linked above is a little murky on how to prorate a "special standard meal allowance" vs a "standard meal allowance." ;-)

TallJoe Thanks this.
  5. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Call IRS and get back with us?

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Calling IRS ...? You will spend an hour trying to get through to a real person, then another 45 minutes while being transferred to so called a competent person, who will put you on hold for another 20 minutes and then will read you some IRS sections and subsections of the code leaving it up to you to interpret them...and you back to square one.

HopeOverMope and Getsinyourblood Thank this.
  7. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    Call the IRS 10 times with the same question and more times than not you will get 10 different answers.

I am confident that what I posted before is accurate. The problem with a lot of tax preparers and accountants is they do not deal with transportation per diem often so they give an easy safe answer that may not benefit you.

Another link with info from TurboTax who employ a small army of tax accountants who are more likely to know the rules then a single tax accountant or prepare can be found at https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2541196-where-do-i-enter-my-department-of-transportation-dot-per-diem

From that link……..

If you qualify as a transportation industry worker, you can use the DOT per diem rate of $59 ($65 outside the continental United States) from January 1, 2015 through September 30, 2015. The rates were updated to $63 ($68 outside the continental United States) starting October 1, 2015 .

The DOT per diem rate applies to each full 24-hour period you're away from home. For partial days where you're either leaving for work or coming home, use 75% of that rate (this would be $44.25 for inside the continental U.S., $48.75 outside if the full 24 hour rate is $59 /$65)

The IRS allows you to deduct 80% of your unreimbursed DOT per diem, but you only need to figure your unreimbursed per diem for the year – TurboTax will calculate the rest. Follow the instructions below.

Again they use the $59.00 rate from pre September 30, 2015 in the examples so you need to apply the %80 to the current $63.00 amount for full days or the %75 of %80 for partial days to get the current write off.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  8. Mitchmmd

Mitchmmd Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2018
    If I'm a local owner operator and I leave home and return home on the same day, can I claim .5 day per diem?

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    NO per diem for you.

Mitchmmd Thanks this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    No.

Mitchmmd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.