Personal Conveyance quiestion.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SafetyUS, Sep 26, 2023.

1. SafetyUS

SafetyUS Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2023
    ok, well anyway ill try to challenge it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I'm not the expert but......

In my opinion & understanding, yes. You can use PC anytime you need (or want) to use it for PERSONAL conveyance as long as you don't advance your load OR under dispatch.
    I'll give an example:
    I used to have a 2 X per week run from Monroe, La to Grand Prairie, TX. That's 4 hours. I'd come to work abut 1:00 pm get my load & run to GP. I'd drop my trailer at the receiver & use PC to go get something to eat. A lot of times I'd go to Golden Coral about 10 miles each way. I only had about 5 hours on my 14 & about 4 hours on my drive.

Once I dropped my trailer, I'd PC to Golden Coral, go off duty, then PC back to the shipper & spend the night. I had all kinds of time left on my clock. I didnt advance my load, wasn't under dispatch & I was using the truck for PC... not DOT/ FMCSA related. It was for personal use.
    Perfectly legal in my book.

PC aint SPECIFICALLY for emergency run time. Its for PERSONAL Conveyance... without advancing the load.

Hawkeye212, 88 Alpha and tscottme Thank this.
  4. SafetyUS

SafetyUS Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2023
    Yeah, thats a good example.
    Thank you for your help and explanation. Ill do anything to keep score low. lol

Grumppy Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You can PC under a dispatch. Originally the regulation said you couldn't but they changed that because of a scenario where you pickup a load and run out of hours while getting loaded to be told you have to leave there's no parking allowed.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is company policy. The company may have stricter requirements than the actual regulation and they may not even allow PC under certain or even any circumstance.

6. SafetyUS

SafetyUS Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2023
    Thank you so much everyone!

7. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    No.

SafetyUS Thanks this.
  8. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    OK, I've been out of this game too long, and don't know what you guys are talking about. Could somebody suggest a youtube video that covers today's regulations with electronic logs? I'm from the days when we kept paper logs, and I knew all the tricks from back then....

snowwy Thanks this.
  9. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    My understanding is that the only time you can use PC in a situation like that is if you’re out of hours at a receiver and can’t stay there for your reset. Then and only then you can use PC to drive to the NEAREST available parking spot, which doesn’t necessarily mean the truck stop of your choice.

Otherwise, PC is only meant for using the truck for personal conveyance, that is using it as you would your own car, to go buy groceries or something similar.

Driving your truck to a truck stop after making a delivery is a normal part of your working day, it doesn’t qualify as personal conveyance.

10. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I used the odd line all the time to keep a fresh clock at con-way safety never gave me any crap unless I was already under another load.

Said I couldn't deadhead off the drive line so I just started looking at where the load was going before I accepted it. Calls stopped.

Just use common sense and don't deadhead like an hour....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.