Petition to oppose FMCSA speed limiter mandate

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bret1984, May 5, 2022.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    While the Swift in the granny lane was wrong, Freymiller was reckless. Swift in the granny lane should have backed out of it. It's Freymiller that's going to be the one that gets noticed because that was the most egregious.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I can show you proof that 65 mph kills. And 55 mph too. And 45.

The big deal is the regulation is not needed. If I have a need or want to run my truck up to 80 mph or 85 mph or whatever for a short burst then I need that ability. Nobody likes to hang out in the left lane passing someone else with only 1/2 mph difference in speed. Most of the dumb fools driving governed trucks won't show a little courtesy and let off the accelerator to allow a slightly faster truck to pass quickly.

They'd rather run over their grandmother than allow someone to pass. They create angry motorists and potential road rage scenarios. Soooo, the safest thing is for the passing truck to be able to accelerate on by quickly. There's nothing safe about 2 trucks side by side for miles on end. They have no out and that goes against common sense basic saftey...

4. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Not saying I agree with him, but what exactly was said by him that made you make that decision?

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  5. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    He simply wasn't bringing anything to the table. There are many of us that are trying as hard as we can to do something, and not go against the grain.

D.Tibbitt, REO6205 and JolliRoger Thank this.
  6. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    I think there is a misconception among us on the speed limiter issue. To me it was not so much the top governed speed as the ability to utilize the "power curve" I needed for the terrain I was running in. Speed limit 75, truck governed at 75. I am about to hit a nice hill. I would like to be off the governor and running more power/maybe more speed as I arrive. Nothing like hitting a grade with dead power ability.
    Now surely it can be said, I am governed at 75, just drop to 72 and stay powered and problem solved. Carry that to the extent of some posters advocating 60-62-68 and see the complete slowdown of a chunk of the traffic flow. To each his own. To much "control" effort being expended.
    Basically, if I owned a fleet, I would have drivers that had sense enough to drive an ungoverned truck (or so high he could barely control it in top gear)
    make safe comfortable miles, caring for the engine. I was always counseled to not wind it out in lower gears, but make time in top 2.
    Just an old man who knew how governors worked, never blew (even hurt) an engine in my open truck. Did successfully blow two in the same trip and they set at fleet optimum RPM. Like the slogan, ya need to be able to "roll and tumble as you navigate the road.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    It’s an annoying site, but I signed and commented.

4mer trucker, D.Tibbitt, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    One thing I despised about school when I was a kid was the “punish all for the actions of one” that they taught us kids. Tried to teach anyway. Some of us smart one’s let it fall on deaf ears and still do.
    Some comments in these treads remind of that and make me shiver.

9. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That completely sucks. Guilty by association I guess. I understand where you're coming from but to go through every single driver in USA and weed out the reckless ones, who's got that kind of time?

10. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Yes and because so many drivers lack common sense or good training, this is why we are here. Right, wrong or indifferent. I ain't saying I necessarily disagree with you, I'm only saying I understand both sides of the coin.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    There is no logic nor sense in why they try to pass it and safety has nothing to do with it.
    ELD mandate did not show any signs of safety improvement either.
    55 mph or 60 mph was fully enforced and mostly observed in places such as OH, MI, OR, WA, certain parts of CA and I heard no news about safety statistical deterioration after the limits were increased, for quite a few years now. It is a part of the ATA agenda serving big, communists carriers' interests, same as ELD mandate. It is another nail in the coffin of independent owner operator-ships and small fleets.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.