Phone lines...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Jul 28, 2016.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    True story. I would not be the one sticking around to have some angry homeowner yelling at me.

"Whoops.... soooooooooorry. No championship game for you tonight."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    More than likely they were put up at the required height. Two things may have happened. First, is that the required height when they were put up, is not as high as it is now. In which case, every utility should have had somebody out looking at all of their crossings. Second, is that they may have pulled loose for the insulators. In which case, they should be seen when the lines are patrolled regularly. Operative word here, being should.

Actually, this is a very easy one. If that line is low enough to be caught with a vehicle of legal height, it is a good reason to dial 911. Let THEM figure out who to call. Remember, you are reporting an accident waiting to happen.

misterG Thanks this.
  4. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    My coworker did that @Big Don . He pulled down someone's TV cable wire that crossed a public roadway. He pulled over and called 911. Sat there for almost two hours waiting on the fire chief to come down and clear him of the scene. Needless to say the dude never showed up, and he got into an epic game of runaround with the sheriff's office, the local police, and some mid level fire fighter guys. Of course he never got cited. But it was just some cable line that the cable company had to replace the following day.

Honestly, and as bad as it sounds, I probably would have just played stupid and left. I am driving down a public roadway with a legal sized trailer. Not my problem if Jimbo the cable guy uses the metric side of the tape to Jerry rig his cable lines. *Shrug*

Shaggy, LoneCowboy and misterG Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That's about what I did the last one I got, especially since it was in the middle of the day.

6. jimbo47

jimbo47 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    years back I was with my old fella in his cattle hauler ,anyway we are flagged down by a truck following.
    driver comes up and says you are dragging about quarter mile of phone line it was just pinging off the poles as we passed (line was caught on rear corner)...any way up I go and unhook ..and the other driver is laughing at least no one can call the police on us ..about 6months later we went back to load at that farm and the farmer asks if we saw anything funny the last time he loaded as some **** pulled the phone line down for a country mile.

D.Tibbitt, Shaggy, LoneCowboy and 6 others Thank this.
  7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    @jimbo47 bahaha! What an awesome story! Thanks for the laugh!

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. jimbo47

jimbo47 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    on the same line so to speak ...was with my dad again many years ago(back in the auld country)....anyway this day he was told pick up one o the tandem straight livestock trucks at one o the company slaughterhouses ,well they were busy and loaded the bottom deck with sheepskins ,we were to pick up a truck that did this the day before washed out empty at a sheepskin tanning place and load up 3 decks o sheep for home at a near by farm seems simple!!! Well off we went ,,for a couple o hours things were good then a car passed us hand on the horn ,well my auld man says we must of held him up ******* . The next town we came to the village policeman is standing in the road waving us in... by now I'm writing away in his logbook . The policeman says you've packed them in tight driver ,my dad says no sheep on board so they go round the back to the door/ramp and there is a *****in huge pair of sheep balls hanging out the side o the door (I'm round the back now) so my dad gets his knife out and cuts them off thought the cop was going to faint!!! Dad had to open the door/ramp to show the cop the skins.....he was let off after a real hairdrier blast from the cop.....................days like that stick in my mind about the good times I had with my dad RIP must be 40yrs ago.

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!

misterG and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Knock on wood, Been good with over head lines with a roll off dumpster truck.
    However the ones on the ground cost the company $5,000 each time. Killed 2 so far.

Both at new home builds, No excuse. Focused on other things.Both times was the idiot dropped the cans so close.
    20151216_132006 (1).jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  11. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Seeing that Shaggy, I don't feel so bad about the tree stump I dented with a gas tank several years ago. All that cost me was a lesson learned, to be more mindful of the mpg of that truck. When the gas gauge got to 1\4 tank, it was time to fill up.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.