Phone lines...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Jul 28, 2016.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We had a driver do the same thing and run. Somebody saw it and called 911. The Delaware State Police called the terminal looking for this guy. I don’t know about the DQ because he’s still working here, but he did wind up with a warrant for his arrest for leaving the scene.

D.Tibbitt and brian991219 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Turns out mine was ruled an “incident”, so fortunately no bonus money lost.

This happened taking a right off a 2-lane state road into the truck entrance of my last delivery that day. There isn’t much you’re going to hide when a cop from the next county is behind you who calls the State Police himself and the fire department shows up right behind them, followed by the power company and the State Hwy Administration to shut the road down.

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    He got real lucky, must have not been charged with leaving the scene. Per 383.51 it is a mandatory one year disqualification of CDL for conviction of leaving the scene.

The Motor Carrier Safety Planner

Sadly I have worked with drivers that have been charged with leaving the scene when they legitimately didn't know they even hit something. Has cost more than one good hand their career.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That may still be subject to change because to my knowledge he hasn’t gone to court yet. The company wanted him gpne the day it happened but the new ops manager spoke up on his behalf.

Somebody was a lot kinder than I would’ve been.

misterG and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    If you hit something and just willy-nilly leave, that is one thing. But if a electrical line swoops over your cabs airdam and snaps after snagging your trailer that is another.

The thing that worries me is you can take down a line and genuinely just not know about it, yet still be charged for leaving the scene under the most egregious circumstances.

The only recourse you have is to argue your case in traffic court and cite the 16 foot utility line rule.

misterG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.