Picking Up by Robin Lang all about Department of Sanitation New York City

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Mike2633, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Stay tuned were getting to the human cost/factor of working for the DSNY.

booley and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Itsbrokeagain

Itsbrokeagain Bobtail Member

May 31, 2019
    Liking the thread. I work for Con Edison, wish I had more knowledge on the Vactors I drive everyday.

booley and Mike2633 Thank this.
  3. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Thanks I have to do the next post I was busy today working around my house and of all things street sweeping and cleaning my side walk and front walk way the birds pooped on everything.

4. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Do you clean out storm drains and do sewer jetting and cleaning up around utility installations?

5. Itsbrokeagain

Itsbrokeagain Bobtail Member

May 31, 2019
    We don't. Only the actual manholes/service boxes, transformer vaults. Storm drains are done by the city.

We used to have rodders on the front of our trucks but in 2009-2013 they upgraded to Freightliner chassis from the cab over Mack's like DSNY uses. Now the front of our trucks are bare aside from two outlets to plug stuff into and a water hose fitting for the gun.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    DSNY The Human Cost
    [​IMG]

DSNY Operator Michael Hanly

Picking Up Robin Lang, Page 61 Copyright FSG 2013.

Anyhow the story of Michael Hanly
    November 12 1996

Mr.Hanly had 23 years on the job working for DSNY. He was a collections man out of Brooklyn and was working the Bensonhurst route.

Mr. Hanly and his partner were on 8161 New Utrecht Avenue at 84th Street, in a light-industrial area of Bensonhurst.

They were nearing the end of there route at one of the last stops, there was a pile of non-descript house hold garbage and and a container facing away from the curb. The container was facing the wrong direction and had a skull and cross bones placard on it.

Mr. Hanly picked up the container and threw it in the trucks hopper like he would any other trash.

His partner, went to cycle the mighty placard blade, and Mr. Hanly bent over to grab some more material.
    As the packer blade went through it's cycle the blade caught the container full of 70% hydrofluoric acid solution which then punctured and exploded out of the container and exploded all over Mr. Hanley, Mr. Hanley inhaled the acid and it burned out his internal organs and he died at age 49.

2000 Sanitation workers from around the region came to his funeral.

Frank Justich April 2004

Mr. Justich who was a valued DSNY employee was emptying a basket on Ditmars Blvd and 35th street in Astoria. He had just emptied a basket and was cycling the packer blade when a tractor trailer semit truck of all things was coming around the corner, blinded by sun glare and a dirty windshiled the semi truck driver misjudged his turning radius and came in to tight and just before 8:00 am that April morning Frank Justich was the 10th DSNY worker to lose his life in the line of duty in 8 years.

Itsbrokeagain Thanks this.
  7. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    The Formation of the DSNY
    [​IMG]

For people like my self from the suburbs of Cleveland, there is really no rich history of are garbage collection, when the town was incorporated the garbage came along with the towns service department and there's really,
    nothing more to say about it then that.
    IMG_4674.JPG
    City of Rocky River, Ohio Leach 2RIII 25 yard rear load mother ship unit with city of Rocky River Cushman Satellite truck following.

IMG_4673.JPG
    City or Rocky River, Leach Alpha, 20 yard truck collecting recyclable flats.

Anyhow most suburbs around this town don't have the big dramatic history that the DSNY or Los Angeles Department of Sanitation have although LA's departments of sanitation is much much much newer being formed in the middle 1950s.

[​IMG]
    City of Danville, Illinois, E-Z-Pac Goliath picking up municipal yard waste.

Anyhow unlike the clean streets of the modern day suburbs, New York City in the 1800s was a rotten stinky disease infested place with dead animals rotting and lying in the streets for massive amounts of time and small children just hanging out by the dead animal bodies.
    [​IMG]

The modern day DSNY as we know it today was not officially formed and operating until 1895.

Will get into the formation of the department in my next post. But the 1800s were much different then the clean suburban streets of the suburbs of other towns far away. As New York was America's biggest and for a long time dirtiest city.

booley and Itsbrokeagain Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted