Planning a one time trip from DC to Hadley, PA

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Fredy, Jun 25, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Three words "NOT. FOR. HIRE."

Those colors must be in a contrasting color with the body color of your vechicle visible from I think 50 yards away by a human.

I have spent some time hunting the old Not for Hire rules online and it seems to have vanished or become buried as a "State Secret"

If you are driving a vehicle heavier than 10,001 pounds gross, a combination vehicle and certainly anything at 26,001 or heavier you need a CDL.

The only possible bypass is for strictly RV vehcile only. I don't see you stuffing a dumpster into a RV.

If you are being paid for this work directly or indirectly then you are not able to use the not for hire signage.

My suggestion to you as a protective measure is to tell the Church Leadership to Find a Dumpster they like being sold somewhere and HAVE THEM DELIVERY IT DIRECT TO YOUR CHURCH. DO NOT VOLUNTEER or subject your vehicle and or trailer to this task.

Most cities have contract with waste removal services of some kind. If your church falls within that town limits, contract area or service area of a given trash removal service, it should be no problem to contact THAT provider of trash removal to establish a service of trash removing at your church. They will grab a dumpster, drop it off there at your church, then charge your church a monthly bill to empty it each week.

IF done right, the heaviest thing anyone needs to pick up is a telephone to make the call to the correct local trash removal service inside your county, city or state issued phone book directory. No one has to travel or volunteer or do anything. It will all be taken care of for you.

And of course there will be a montly bill issued to the church for trash services which should not be a problem along with the building insurance, light bill, upkeep, heating and cooling, water and sewer etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Picking up a custom made container/dumpster at Bucks manufacturing in Hadley, PA

4. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    I appreciate the advice, this is a custom-order dumpster that I helped facilitate in planning and buying and possibly picking up as well (either with my own hooklift or flat bed trailer on a truck). The current trash company is charging alot of money so they chose another option. I am starting to think it will be better to have it delivered to us instead.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I absolutely agree. Have it delivered to you all at the church there. Pay the man whatever he charges to get it done.

I just finished reading PDF's on DC, MD and PA rules of all sorts and to me It's a potential trap to anyone who just hops into a big enough vehicle to go get it. It's just too risky. You can be fined, vehicle and or trailer can be fined, Securement could be fined, defects will be fined, inadequate weights would be fined you could be detained etc etc etc

I even recalled some converstations with the Law myself when they pulled ME over with my pickup truck hauling big stuff in the back. Properly secured of course. The minute they see that nice CDL license in my wallet along with the insurance and such and so forth and have nothing to do with motor carrier trucking they would let me go. But they do hunt for that sort of stuff.

It's not worth the risk. Hire someone to deliver the #### thing to you. lolz. Its safer all around.

If I wanted to be snarky, it better be a really nice dumpster plated in Chrome or something he he.

Do NOT let anything I say take away from your spirit of volunteering or serving God in some form or another. Church and State are two absolutely different problems when faced with a public roadway.

6. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    You live and run in md? Run up to the scale house, park go inside. Explain your situation to them and ask them this question. They probably would no, as their the one who would be given put tickets if wrong. Or rent a uhaul pickup and go get your dumpster. Or its 316 miles each way. Drive up Friday pick it up, grab a hotel and drive back on sat. Looking at your route I don't see any worries or scales that are "USUALLY" open on the weekends.

7. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    your a good man trying to help out your local Church, get a hold of china town, he might be able to help out. Good luck bud.

8. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Huh? Can you explain how chinatown will help?

9. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Thank you all for your input. It seems the most cost effective way is to take a road trip to PA soon. I believe I am cleared for IRP, IFTA since the truck is under 26K lbs and from ELD since I am exempted being that I do not do these kind of trips often. The only thing I can think of is making sure the truck is safe and pre-inspected and tolls and planning the best route.

10. Petty Cash

Petty Cash Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Avoiding the PA turnpike is easy. I've run quite a few loads, including Bucks roll offs in your direction. I always run 30, 99, 22, 219, and 422 between Breezewood and PA8, I79, or US19, depending on where I'm going to or from. There are a number of hills, but in your size truck it shouldn't be a problem. Hills have never really bothered me much anyways though.

11. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    the man is a world of info. he has helped a ton of drivers on here. you name it he can find an answer or someone else is reading his post says :" Hey, I know"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.