Planning to go OTR with boyfriend

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Lisseida, Oct 8, 2017.

1. kb09

kb09 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2017
    If gou really like having your own money and no obligations, you like your relationship, don't do it.
    Not a whole lot goes on out here. A lot of waiting. If your arguing there's no place to go. It tends to bring out the worst in people.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Keep your job and your independence.

jungledrums Thanks this.
  4. jungledrums

jungledrums Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Tennessee
    Amen

NightWind Thanks this.
  5. Kris J

Kris J Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Conclusion. A little trip with the driver now and then is obviously enough.

6. ciarrastarr229

ciarrastarr229 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2024
    Every couple is different. I've been with my boyfriend since 2020, he started trucking in 2023. I had quit my horrible job and decided to go OTR with him because I had never been outside new England and wanted to be home with my parents as little as I could. It was such an amazing experience, we still talk about it to this day. Our relationship became so strong. We met new people, we tried new foods, we got closer to God and each other. We always tried to have fun. I slept on the top bunk because I wanted him to sleep comfortable, since we're both tall lol. I helped him in any way I could, I'd cook for him, I helped with his radio, his tandems, I'd help with fuel, it was so fun it made me think about being a truck driver. It's hard seeing him so tired and being mistreated by a company. I didn't have a job but was desperately looking for one because my family was pressuring me while i was on the road. I lost focus on having a good time. I eventually got a job and had to stop driving with him. To this day, I regret worrying about income and finding a job instead of fully embracing the experience. We always say "let's do it again, let's do it right this time, let me take care of you, no work for you" You could try to find a job online, but service is spotty OTR. I lost service in the middle of the desert of Arizona during an interview, no hotspot or Wi-Fi extender worked. The trucks Wi-Fi didn't work either. We also maxed out our hotspots all the time, you'd have to find freelance work of some kind because you can't always rely on having service while the truck is moving.

I really hope this helps

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    It probably didn’t help, as the original post was from 2017. :cool:

Lumper Humper, Diesel Dave and Opus Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably will help some new drivers today though.

tarmadilo and ciarrastarr229 Thank this.
  9. Spardo

Spardo Light Load Member

Yes, a bit rude that wasn't it? Not coming back to let us know how it worked out. Perhaps she's buried in the middle of a nameless desert somewhere. He simply couldn't bear it anymore.:rolleyes:

For that reason I would have advised against, or perhaps a short trial. My girlfriend and I eloped to Italy in 1984 when I got a job going in that direction. We got on ok and it was useful to me apart from the obvious. Customs officers are sometimes known to be a bit more polite and swift with clearances if there is a little money involved. Not us. I hid in the bunk and she drove in, climbed down and presented the papers, Italians are easy meat in such circumstances and, after much bowing and scraping (by him, not her) the papers were all stamped and back in the cab in 5 minutes flat. My mate Richard was very envious, I think he would have liked me to lend him her 'twin sister' if he thought I would. ;-)

English trailers are not registered and only bear the plates of the tractor. We had shot through Dover, where I collected it, in a hurry and straight onto the ferry. In Italy 2 carabinieri moto cops flagged us down and demanded I fix the plate. I was nearly at the back with one of them giving me the glare when I was called back to the cab by the other. Fran was leaning over the driver seat in a low cut top looking down at him, pleading hunger. Never mind the plate, her food was more important and he was beside himself in sending us on our way. I fixed the plate at the restaurant just round the corner. ;-)

Finally heading home through Germany I fell ill and couldn't drive, but we had a ferry booked and a 24 hour wait for another, so she got behind the wheel and after a short instruction from me she was off with 16 gears at her disposal never having had more than 4 in her car before. I did wake up once realising that I hadn't advised her on the signals between drivers when overtaking each other. She was looking in the right hand mirror while saying 'hang on a minute while I pull in front of this bloke'. I looked and saw the flash of the lights giving her the clearance and then safely back in lane she turned and said 'what was it you wanted to say?'. Never mind, back to sleep.

We did several trips together and never had a cross word but, after a month or so decided perhaps best not to push our luck. We settled near Dover, she got a job and we lived happily ever after. She has had 3 ministrokes and I am now her full time carer. Oh, and still married.:)

MACK E-6, Last Call, mitrucker and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does this photo remind you of Italy? Reminds me of Naples when I was there.

11. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.