Possible Career Change at age 56

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ProspectiveDriver56, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    You could apply that attitude to quite a number of professions. Not to mention the “back in the day” crowd, “things were so much better back in the day”... like multiple log books and eighteen hour days?

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    That’s every industry, and society in general.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Back in the day you didn't need multiple log books to run 18 hour days.... just saying..

6. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    You’re assuming because I gave two examples that somehow they were mutually exclusive.... one can have multiple log books without pulling 18 hours and visa versa, 18 hours can be pulled without multiple log books.

“back in the day” they were both practiced.... 1977 my old man ran Old Style Beer for an OOP. The owner did both in his other truck... my old man passed on those kind of practices, and hence didn’t make the kind of money his boss did... eventually leaving the industry.

So the industry sucked back then... maybe... but people are going to complain no matter what the times are.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  7. davistev

davistev Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Trust me. There are worse jobs out there than trucking. I was a school teacher for over 20 years and I always put in more than 70 hours pw. That combined with low pay, even lower respect = trucking is better!

8. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    I went to truck driving school at 54-years-old. Having been in executive management, it was a major change.

9. ProspectiveDriver56

ProspectiveDriver56 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2020
    I just now watched this, that is quite a change! Do you have a family to support?

10. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    Yes, I am married and between us we have three kids. Two in college and one in high school. The first year was a learning year, but I did a lot of research and the second year has been phenomenally better.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs