power while on vacation

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by pdap, Nov 6, 2023.

1. pdap

pdap Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2023
    My daughter is an OTR driver and I know very little about the trucking industry. recently she took a week and a half off and spent that time with us. she left her truck in the driveway and the APU would run about 18 hours a day keeping All of her stuff charged. I asked her if there's a way that she could just plug directly into our house electrical system and she said there isn't. so is this true or not? if a trucker takes time off and they need to keep their stuff charged such as all of the computers that are on board, how do they keep all this stuff charged without running their APU 18 hours a day?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    If her apu is running 18 hours a day just to charge her batteries then she probably has bad batteries. Ask her to make sure she has the air conditioner off. Only time mine will run forever like that is with the ac left on for the apu. Otherwise it comes on intermittently for about 15 minutes or so to charge the batteries.

4. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    For a week and a half stay she should have shut everything down. To me it’s absolutely ridiculous to let it run that long.

I’m home now for a few weeks. Truck turned off, batteries disconnected and the refrigerator defrost and cleaned.
    Electronic items come home with me.

Too bad you had to listen to it for so long…Glad you don’t live next to me :)

Diesel Dave, Bud A. and lester Thank this.
  5. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    Lots of wear and tear on an APU and a decent amount of fuel burned for that amount of time.

I just eat what I can out of the fridge before I go home and then flip the battery disconnect.

If an APU uses 0.2 gallons per hour, that's 36 gallons of fuel and 180 hours of unnecessary run time.

For extended time off like that, I usually clean out anything valuable and then spend a few hours deep cleaning and grocery shopping before hitting the road again

Concorde and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If nothing in the truck can be shut down and there is no battery disconnect and the batteries need to be kept up then it woulda just been better and cheaper to hook a simple 110v plug in battery charger and let it maintain the charge.
    One of my long time friends when he is on long layovers comes out every day at 2 pm and starts his truck to let it charge and air back up. Been doing this for 40 years. Lol.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I would easily choose to use a battery charger for the times that the truck is not being used if the truck was in a secure location and had access to electricity. The last thing I ever wanted to do during home time was see that truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.