Pre emission vs Emission engines

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by KullenTrucking, Apr 4, 2021.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I kept my company job while I rebuilt a truck, I’d rather buy a ~10k truck to put 40k into then a 5 year old ~50k truck that Is 3/4 wore out and will be ready for a motor within a year or 2

buying new would be the next alternative but you need extra capitol to comfortably make payments, unless you want to be a slave to it running 3000 miles a week, and so you don’t go broke waiting for your free repairs to get done if you get a lemon

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    OldeSkool and tommymonza Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Yep
    The only way is pre emission . Or brand new with warranty.
    You do not want to own an emission engine that’s out of warranty .
    Its just too expensive to repair , and they break down a lot because of all the sensors and using EGR on a diesel just doesn’t work without it clogging up all the time .

Kind of like a German car.
    you do not want to own a Benz or Audi or Porsche or BMW that’s not under warranty.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If you know the truck and know the emission system has been properly maintained it’s not that risky driving one that’s out of warranty. I’ve made it 226k past warranty at this point and my truck hasn’t imploded yet. The problem is people will buy a used truck with no knowledge of how or if it was maintained (and if it’s a used fleet truck then that’s a solid no) thinking that they can just drive it and next thing they know they’re dumping $15k into the emission system to keep it running. Or they buy a new truck and throw the manual in the trash and never maintain the emission system and wonder why they start having problems at about 400k.

TallJoe and OldeSkool Thank this.
  5. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    If you have the money a new one is fine .
    The heavy haul company my nephew works for buys new W900s and replaces them the week before the warranty expires.
    They learned their lesson about owning a emission truck past the warranty.

Plus the depreciation runs out about the same time the warranty expires, so they will have to start paying income tax on the profit the truck makes AND start paying the huge repair bills, so it makes sense for them to just sell them and buy another new W900
    They usually don’t have any trouble selling a four year old 600HP 18 speed W9 with about 200k miles on it for $100k

they also have a large yard near a big city, with 24 hour security guard , and they rent secure storage space to other truckers and movie companies etc for their vehicles .

John E. Thanks this.
  6. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    So basically what you’re saying is they had some trucks, didn’t maintain the emission system, it cost them money to fix the trucks, so now they can not maintain the emission system and get rid of the truck before warranty is out. There’s nothing wrong with that business model. Lots of companies operate that way and that’s what makes used emission trucks a gamble for the second owner. All I’m saying is when properly maintained over the course of ownership an emission motor runs just fine out of warranty.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    TallJoe Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well I’m for emissions engines and there are a lot of reasons why I won’t get into outside of the future with this administration and congress pre-emissions truck won’t be around much longer, they will make a move and nothing will be grandfathered in.

that said, I have a suggestion.

find yourself a good mechanic that is willing to work with you, then find a $8 to $10k truck and take the $50k you have and have the truck rebuilt from the ground up. Engine, trans and rear axles all reman, clean up the rest of the truck and put it on the road.

KullenTrucking Thanks this.
  8. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    Nope,
    Not at all what I’m saying .

they take very good care of the trucks.
    Oil changed and other maintenance is done very well. Each truck and trailer gets a DOT inspection done , every WEEK.

The shipper they normally haul cargo for has their own satellite tracker installed on the trucks, to monitor the location and all
    Engine data in real time and also requires on the BOL that the engine will not be turned off while their cargo is on the truck.
    So it gets a forced regen , usually every night when they stop, or every morning before they pull out .

The last one they ran past the warranty wiped a cam , broke down while hauling a 11 foot wide load crossing 130,000 lbs

Took three weeks to repair , needing a new head and cam etc. about $20-25 k repair bill and three weeks lost revenue for that truck, and they get $10 a loaded mile for most of their hauls.

The tax depreciation runs out about the same time as the warranty. So the company is going to have to start paying income tax on the profit the truck makes, AND start paying for the repairs.

Those two combined make it a better deal
    For the company to just get a brand new
    Truck every four years when the warranty expires.
    They have no trouble selling the trucks,
    A four year old 600HP 18 speed W900L with about 250k on the clock for $85-95k with all Maint records sells pretty fast.

And I’m sure the democrats are looking forward to the day they can ban every vehicle with an internal combustion engine. that day is coming .

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  9. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
  10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    With the miles that were on it I’d be willing to bet that zero attention was paid to any kind of preventative maintenance on the emission system since it appears that thing was driven non-stop around the clock.

11. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    If you’re buying a Detroit powered Freightliner or a Paccar powered Pete or KW one of the easiest things to do is get the VIN of the truck you’re interested in and go to a different dealer. Throw a hundred dollar bill to the service manager for his time and sit down and see what all has been done to the truck. If the work was performed at a dealer, which given the proprietary engine most of it should’ve been, it will be in the system, as well as any and all warranty claims on the truck. It’s a pretty simple step to see if you even want to go look at the truck in person and pay for an ECM dump and another inspection.

My guess is the thread linked above was a problem truck but the buyer failed to do proper due diligence and now he’s in trouble. But since nobody can take personal responsibility for anything anymore or gets passed off as another “all emission trucks are bad” example instead of a “truck buyer should make sure, to the best of their ability, that they’re not buying junk” example.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.