Prime INTERMODAL - Questions/Answers

Discussion in 'Prime' started by knuckledragger, May 12, 2015.

1. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    This thread is for information on Prime's Intermodal Division...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Ok. First question, are you with prime intermodal?

4. knuckledragger

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    I just saw an ad posted in the Seattle area for Prime Intermodal. I left a message with the recruiter and have yet to hear back.
    Is anyone here currently working for this division?
    Do you know if the intermodal trucks have APUs installed?
    Do you know if the stated required '7 months experience' is a hard requirement or are exceptions sometimes made?
    Anyone know what Prime's pay is intermodal?
    What are the average miles per week?
    Accessory pay, detention pay, layover pay, etc?

Here is a copy of the ad I found below (Looks like NEW trucks!)

NEW Intermodal-Chicago, IL and Seattle, WA

o Weekly hometime to reset hours

o Clean facilities with full DEF and diesel services on site and free truck parking

o New Equipment

§ Refrigerated=New Trailer On Flat Car (TOFC) Equipment which means no more flips or downtime fixing trailer issues due to flips in the rail yard

§ Flatdeck= New Flatbed Rail Equipment

o 24/7 Support including Dispatch and Road Assist

o 2015 Cascadia/ProStar Intermodal tractors with features including In cab Scanning, OnGuard Collision Mitigation System, Right Weigh Scaling Equipment, and More

o Paid on-the-job training

o Referral bonuses available

o Short haul freight available for Refrigerated Intermodal

Phone: 800-248-7735
    Experience: Experienced drivers with 7 or more months CDL experience (A Seat). Flatbed experience for flatdeck drivers is preferred but not required.
    Work Type: Full Time

5. knuckledragger

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    No. Just doing research.
    Do you work for Prime Intermodal?

6. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Check with RedOctober, he is running the Intermodal there.

redoctober83 and knuckledragger Thank this.
  7. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Hey Knuckledragger,

I am currently running the PNW region. I have been up here since the end of Jan of this year.

Where did you find this job posting at? Some of the info doesn't match up with the PNW region. Like there is no raildeck program up here right now and there isn't a clean facility with def and diesel services with free parking here in the PNW unless you count the TA/Petro and Jubitz truck stop, lol. Do you live in either the Seattle or Portland area?

Do you currently work for Prime now? How much A seat experience or driving experience do you currently have? The 7 months experience is the minimum, but depending on your past experience exceptions are made sometimes.

To run the PNW region, you'll have to lease a truck, this isn't a company driver position. I'm basically working 5 days a week with some ocassional local deliveries on the weekend. I'll average about 2,000 miles a week out here. You get 100% of the FSC. The FSC rate chages each week. You do get layover pay if there is an issue with the load, but you won't get anything for the weekends. Prime has a pretty nice detention pay policy and they are very agressive at getting it for you. It just might be a couple weeks before you see it show up on your settlement statement. It's all no touch freight. You won't be loading or unloading the trailers at all. Most of the customers we pickup from are live loads but usually I get in and out fast; under 2 hours.

Back to your question about the trucks, you'll have to get a freightliner to run this account out here because of all the produce we pick up and needing to get as much weight in the box as possible. Plus you'll be glad to have the tighter turning radius when trying to drop the trailers at the rail yards out here. If I had a KW or Pete, there is no way I could park the trailer or pull one from the Portland rail yard with how tight they have everything. Prime's trucks come with APU's and 1500 watt power inverters. Since you will be leasing a truck, you can choose to not have the APU.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck,

Redoctober

8. knuckledragger

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    Thank you for all the info. I thought I originally saw the ad on 'Indeed' but can't find it there now.

I did find the same ad posted on this site:
    http://pookie.io/job-details/88c22b3c565db4db
    It says Prime Intermodal is new to the Seattle area.

I did finally hear back from a recruiter named 'Lane'. He said The Seattle Intermodal is 'Independent Contractor' only and that a truck could be leased after two months orientation with Prime.

9. ReeferRick

ReeferRick Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Hey Redoctober83 -- when you pickup produce, are those loads all shipper-count-loaded? If spoilage or damage happened in transit, does Prime still get their entire carriage fee or does the shipper shortpay/file claim against you?? Do you gotta worryabout destroying damaged loads or does receiver deal with that??

10. ajax1337

ajax1337 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Overland Park, KS
    Prime intermodal is running all day cabs now, mostly KW Next Gen T680s, I've seen a few new Cascadia day cabs here and there. From what I understand it was because the rail got tired of them slapping those reinforced road trailers on the trains. That forced Prime's hand into buying day cabs and refrigerated containers. Full sized trucks were no longer feasible because of the weight prime wanted to haul so my guess is they were offered a day cab or to switch back to their previous division, and the old intermodal road trailers were methodically pushed back to Springfield MO so they could be sold. I have yet to deal with a claim in intermodal, definitely had my share of claims just doing regular reefer stuff over the years but, most is drop and hook with the exception of local live unload deliveries to places like Mclane. The cosmetics of the Next Gen T680s are nice but, performance wise...they suck absolute ### that ain't been wiped for weeks. Falls flat on it's face when going up even the slightest hill and dead in the water coming off stops. They're specced down to the bare minimum and as lightweight as the factory could make them which I understand but, it's insane how bogged down they are. They typically spec the full sized Peterbilts with MX-13s but again for weight savings and fuel economy - Paccar MX-11 430HP, Paccar 12 Speed Automated, Paccar 40k tandem axle, 2.64 gears, 72 gallon tank on driver side. They're using this plastic case and cover for the battery box that sits behind the DEF tank, not sure if that's contributed to stuff getting loose and blowing the mega fuse but, it's put me on the side of the road more than once. One of my biggest gripes is as lease operators, you're paying for the gas and the truck every week but, you don't have say in how the truck is specced and how well it's allowed to perform? We're maxed out at 80k most of the time and that 2.64 rear compiled with the horsepower/torque rating, it's so counterproductive in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.