Prime or Schneider Regional

Discussion in 'Prime' started by UsualSuspect, Jul 12, 2017.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Without going into details, I am considered a new CDL Graduate. If I go to Prime I have to take a Skills test, if I pass, TNT, no contract, if I fail, I become a PSD with no pay until they decide I can go TNT, I keep the CDL I have, start out in Salt Lake City. Recruiter initially said it was a simulator test, but Orientation letter has pre-trip, road test, and skills test.
    Schneider Regional, running the Western 11, no APU, but get home every other weekend. I have to complete their training program in Phoenix.
    Schneider will get back to me tomorrow with pay specifics.
    I have my own Health Insurance, which also fully covers a sleep test and CPAP if I need one. Not sure if either will require me to get a sleep test, nor do I know if either will let me use my Insurers Sleep Clinic and DME supplier.
    Which one, and why? I realize this is the Prime thread, but I don't want to double post and I happen to see this one first.

Landau Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
  4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My main issue with Schneider was the lack of an apu, mainly because I like to run a cooler and crockpot. Overall they treated me well though, and kept me busy.

Prime trucks have apu's correct?

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  5. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    A little update, apparently Cali drivers are now paid less cpm at Schneider, but they are paid hourly for breaks and any on-duty, not driving time. I did the math, and of course, Schneider actually pays less to the driver the new Cali way, and I used an average miles per week at 2,500, 2 30 minute breaks, cali drivers have to take 1 every 4 hours, and 2 hours of onduty, not driving time per day. The only way a driver can break even is to have 4 hours of on-duty, not driving hours.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    And this is why I don't care if I'm "paid" for on duty time. It makes things more complicated and more than likely will reduce driver pay.

7. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    With Schneider you have to do their three week training orientation. Any other you go straight into driving with trainer after 2-3 day orientation.

8. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Yes I'll comment since you called me out, I'm just busy at the moment. It looks like I'll need to go use that laptop to respond.

9. Trucker Darrisaw

Trucker Darrisaw Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Prime over Schnieder. Prime pay better for training and starting out

10. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Ok I said I would be back to respond. Just took me longer to get to my computer then I had expected. Now to the OP

The simple answer, Prime hands down! Why? Prime has one of the longest training programs in the industry. Yes you have your cdl, that's great, but that doesn't mean you know how to drive, just pass the test. During the TNT program, you will learn how to drive, negotiate hard situations with the help of your trainer there to guide you. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a grocery warehouse and the spot they give me requires a 30 foot trailer and a yard dog to get into it when you have a 53 foot trailer and full size truck! Having that trainer there to spot and show you ways to successfully park in those spots without taking out the trucks and building will help you be successful in this industry.

Schneider on the other hand is only 3 weeks of training and then you are let loose. During that 3 weeks you only get about a week on the road with the trainer, the rest of the time it's classroom work simulators. That kind of training is a recipe of failure.

If the differences between the training programs isn't enough to convince you, lets talk about the pay. You will make $700/week gross guaranteed at Prime for every week you are available for dispatch. What that means is if you or your trainer take hometime during your training period you won't make any money. If you trainer takes home time and you are sitting at campus I believe they will still pay that guarantee but you'll have be participating in the classes and training pad if I remember correctly. Once you are done and graduated to an A seat status, you'll earn on the reefer side 46cpm in the lightweight truck. That's one of the highest paying starting cpm in this industry.

Schneider's top pay for there drivers is with over 10 years of experience is 45cpm. At least when I was over at Schneider last year that's what the company drivers were tell me. I believe you start off at something in the 30's cpm after training.

Then of course there is the equipment. At Prime you are going to get a well maintained tractor that is 3 years or newer with an apu and power inverter. Schneider doesn't have apu's or inverters on there trucks. Schneider won't let you idle the truck unless it's 75 degrees or above outside (by the way, 75 degrees outside means it's already pushing 85-90 inside the cab) or it's 35 degrees and below (at least you won't need a refrigerator to keep your stuff cold;) ) So for creature comforts you are better off at Prime as well.

Now we can talk about terminals.....Yeah, Prime actually takes cares of it's drivers with terminals that have real food at affordable prices, health and fitness centers that look state of the art and not from the 70's, spa and salon, medical services on site, showers that are cleaned after every use and a house keeping team that cleans bathrooms more than twice a day. Prime has a shuttle service that will take you to walmart and other places around the terminal. Schneider, the terminals were run down, ugly, and dirty. The food was sketchy at best and over priced. Many of times when you went to shower you had to clean the shower yourself before you could use it (yes they had the cleaning supplies at the front desk they hand you). The only plus side Schneider had was the company car you could check out for an hour to run into town. An hour wasn't enough time for much, but at least you could run and get food to bring back or hit walmart.

Those are just some of the biggest differences that I saw between the two companies. There is a reason why I came back to work with Prime after 10 months at Schneider. Granted I was an owner operator at Schneider and not a company driver there. I am still an owner operator working with Prime, but they don't treat the owner operators any different than the company drivers. Schneider, you were treated like you were carrying the plague as an owner operator.

Hope that helps you in making your decision. Good luck and come back and tell us what you find out or decide to do.

11. augiedoggie41

augiedoggie41 Light Load Member

May 21, 2017
    How
    How is the home time at Prime. I'm new to the cdl world and I'm talking to a recruiter. I just can't decide if I wanna go tanker or reefer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.