Progressive sucks...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I don't know how Progressive handles commercial claims, but if you have one, let me know.
    Anyone living in Illinois had a claim?

For my regular auto insurance, I had Allstate until last year when I moved to Progressive. Allstate raised my premium after one totaled car(my son's). I had Allstate for over two decades in Illinois. They were pretty good.

The dealer in Wisconsin told me Progressive is the best. I didn't know it operates differently in different states. NEVER take Progressive in Illinois for your regular vehicles. Change to STATEFARM or ALLSTATE. You will be surprised that State Farm can be cheaper and have a lower deductible in their quotes.
    Someone crashed into my car & Progressive wants to repair my car the cheapest way possible to the bare minimum.
    Progressive rejects estimates from different shops holding me hostage. They want to pay less than half on one and only 25% on the other.
    One shop said they don't deal with Progressive because they don't pay up, leaving the customers to pay the rest. They also refuse to pay while the work is in progress.
    My premium was $500 per month (3 vehicles). After the $250 deductible, Progressive wanted to pay me $660 for the damage to my car. Most shops appraised the damage to be around $2,600 or more. Progressive wants to pay $1,300. I might not see my deductible back the way they are handling things.
    I can't fix my car if I don't want to be the one paying for it. No decent shop will do it for their offering.
    Check online people before you make a switch in your state. Many people in Illinois are in the same boat.
    I moved ALL vehicles to StateFarm yesterday, which was LOWER than Progressive. I was told StateFarm is best in Illinois for regular vehicles.

Hopefully, Progressive doesn't handle commercial claims the same way. If it does, it isn't worth a dime. I am thinking of changing to Northland. Is Northland better than Progressive in Illinois? I had Great West, AND it was GREAT! But Progressive was WAY CHEAPER for commercial this year.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Look at your commercial policy closely.
    I got a quote from progressive $4,500. Great West was $12,000.

Progressive coverage was less than half. I stayed with Great West.

4. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I got the same or a very similar coverage I had with Great West.
    But I don't know how Progressive handles claims. If it's the same way as my regular auto policy with Progressive, then it's not worth a dime!
    It sucks to be here. I'm happy for a lower rate, not happy to pay double though in a market we're in.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Progressive is the cheapest for me. Geico being second. All-State and state farm are the most expensive.

I pay $130 full coverage for 2 vehicles and another $15 for my motorcycle..get a speeding ticket however and that's another $50.

6. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Live in Michigan. For truck insurance: dropped Progressive. No claims or tickets and premium skyrocketed. Went with 1st Guard. The way that insurance is calculated baffles me.

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I have Progressive for my Jeep, only because the apt. managers daughter got me a good rate, but I had heard nightmares about Progressive, Flo my axx. Denied claims, uncancellable policies without a major penalty, I wouldn't recommend them to any commercial outfit. For a commercial application, I'd stay with an outfit that does nothing but trucks, not a one size fits all like Progressive. Good luck, remember, you get what you pay for today.

8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    In lowa progressive pretty much handles claims on line it’s pretty much a joke that’s for the auto insurance I can’t answer your question about commercial claims .. I would not ever use Progressive for coverage on a commercial vehicle

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    NightWind and exhausted379 Thank this.
  9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    When my trailer got totaled from someone else crossing the double yellow progressive paid me out in 2 weeks and went after the kids insurance to recoup, I’m not happy with my them on my personal vehicles though because I thought it went up to $2300 a year but they changed it to. 6 month policy so I’m definitely going to be shopping them

joys of living in MA where insurance is all regulated

Beaver9 and Opendeckin Thank this.
  10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I can't fathom why anyone would go cheap on insurance. Sure it's nice to save some money, but what happens when there's a loss, and potentially a lawsuit? Is your cheap, low rate insurance going to pay up?

I don't have a truck, so I only can speak to my own experience. I use State Farm for everything. Sure it isn't cheap, but when there's a problem, I call the agent and it's handled. I don't have to worry about anything.

Beaver9 and gentleroger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.