Proposed HOS Replacement

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Michael H, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    let’s assume safety really is at the heart of the current HOS. (Unlikely, but I’ll play along). Anytime someone is chasing a clock or squeezing an extra mile, they are more prone to unsafe behavior.

Proposed:
    Replace HOS with a daily mileage limit. (For easy math, let’s say 600 miles).

Transition drivers to a salary instead of mileage pay. The company can establish their own minimum standards for drivers, which become metrics for performance evaluation. Fire drivers who don’t meet the standards. “Hey driver, your load goes to XCity, be there by whatever date.”

Once a driver reaches their mileage limit, they must take a 10 hour break. Mileage is a daily, 24 hour, period.

Mileage is easier to track for logging and reporting purposes.

Whether the truck is governed or wide open won’t mean much. Once you hit your miles, the day is done. Wanna take a nap? Go ahead! No hours to keep track of, just an odometer reading.

Can you finish your 600 in 4 hrs? Great! Enjoy the extended break. Can’t reach 600 most of the time? Thanks for trying, here’s an apple and a bus ticket.

Simple, concise, and is safer than the current system with no penalties for exercising your limits. If you need to stop, stop.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Oh goody another mileage limit thread that completely ignores teams, local, anyone that does unloading, or any sense of reality.

It has been a whole week since we had one, I guess we are due.

4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I can ( and often do) work a 14 hour day (or more) doing local flatbed work, strapping loads, tossing chains, doing tight backing, getting dirty, etc. all day long, and put maybe 300 miles on at best. Are you suggesting that I turn that into a 28 hour shift in order to meet your maximum mileage? How is that safer than the current system?

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I would book a 1200 mile load, leave at about noon on day 1 and deliver it 24 hours later at noon on day 2 and be a superstar for the customer.

Or does that not fit the criteria?

Bean Jr. and Kyle G. Thank this.
  6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    It does :)

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    This team can drain a pair of 155 gallon tanks in about 24 hours to 30. God only knows we need one fuel stop to get to Jersey from LA in maybe 65 hours give or take a little bit. (That's consecutive hours one way)

It's been a long time since I turned a 9 hour run across the NE into a 3 hour romp at triple digits. Work so little and earn so much. HA... //snarky.

Bean Jr. and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  8. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    tucker Thanks this.
  9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    1) I don't want salary pay. If I wanted to work on salary, I would take an office job

2) depending on the schedule, I may exceed 600 or 700 miles in a day on the current HOS regs...in my current 65mph Canadian speed limiter compliant truck. (Leave at midnite, drive out my 11, take a 10, then drive again)...

3) When it's busy, I like per mile pay, the harder I run, the more I make...

Dan.S, bryan21384 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Wow, I'm such an underachiever. Currently I only drive at most 120 miles/day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.