Pros of a CB radio?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dboot01, Dec 2, 2021.

1. dboot01

dboot01 Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2021
    I suck at saving up the points. Everytime I get 5 bucks of points on there the snacks are calling my name lol

Frank Speak and LameMule Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    I have a spare you can have if you're in the PNW area. It's nothing special but it's free. 20211202_124756.jpg

Coffey, D.Tibbitt, Cowboyrich and 4 others Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The CB is less useful than in the past. Since smartphones are widely in use many drivers don't have a CB or rarely use them. They are most useful for getting info on which lane is open when there is a traffic backup on the road. They are useful in bad weather. The CB is useful at SOME customers to check in with the guard shack, although most customers that communicate with the driver will call your phone.

There are some rare situations where the CB is pretty useful, but the majority of drivers seem to not have one or not use it.

GYPSY65 and LameMule Thank this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I have shippers that WILL NOT CALL YOU but will call on the cb. Or you can walk in every 1/2 hr to check...

It nice to know 2 miles before exit that if you pass it you'll be in a 8 mile backup... locals can tell you how to get around it...

Nice (in winter) to know the freeway is closed 50 ahead. When it opens..

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I think they are worth it, if you leave them on all the time.
    You get a heads up about something ahead of you. Some accident and maybe a suggested detour around it.

It's going to be quiet most of the time, unless you hear skip from Mexico or something.

7. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    You can get wrong directions from clowns who enjoy the thought of people suffering. Or wrong information about a wreck that if you follow will have you taking a route a truck can't use.

Remember, for every 1 guy who wants to help, there is another who gets his rocks off causing disruption.

JolliRoger and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  8. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Help in fog banks, white outs, some parts of country no cell service for emergency. But blindly drive on. Tandem air lines dragging, tire flat and as mentioned before driving in winter weather out west is nice to know when you can’t see past end of your hood that traffic over next hill is at a dead stop. Your fixing to rear end a bunch of stopped traffic. Truck spun out on up hill side of lost it in the ditch around a curve you can’t see. But yeah man they are not valuable. Don’t need a motor carrier road atlas either. Just follow the idiot box on your dash. (Sarcasm)
    Both CB and road atlas invaluable tools

9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Big Maude is a sucker for the roller grill, ALL OF IT!

Lonesome Thanks this.
  10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    THIS!!!

tscottme and Dennixx Thank this.
  11. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I wouldn't drive a truck without one for long, especially in winter time and I'll always call out situations a few times. I turn mine up louder when in possible situations and have had so many saves because of it. I had an almost horrific crash but avoided just barely and warned trucks behind me it's about to go down slow down on icy bridge, they all stopped and missed hitting two minivans loaded with people that spun out in front of me on a barricaded bridge on i80 into Iowa from Illinois.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.