Pros of a CB radio?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dboot01, Dec 2, 2021.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Well, what ya don't know doesn't hurt ya.

So why don't you try using one and seeing if maybe you are being hurt without realizing it.

Pamela1990, JolliRoger and Boondock Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    70% of my running is on the 2 lane roads. While Maps or Waze may show me where I'm at and which way to go, they do little good on those roads. A CB can warn me of problems ahead and I hate running without one in the truck.

Numb, Cowboyrich, MACK E-6 and 8 others Thank this.
  4. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
  5. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    Let me tell you wet farts (jk) that keep knocking phone apps something...they are invaluable!

Between my Garmin GPS, my cell apps, and proper prior planning, there is not one scenario that you can describe where a CB would be better for me.

There are many more car drivers on the road nowadays reporting data that gets disseminated immediately to other app users. If you know how to use the technology, it can report so much more than a CB. However, using a CB means speaking to another human and that's usually always more pleasant than technology...bringing me to my point, which just like this forum, everyone has their opinion and most times, all the rattle on the speaker box makes me want to turn off the CB, just like reading some of the commentators on this forum make me want to log out. Then, how useful is it?

A CB, GPS, phone apps, or any technology has limitations given your application of them. I've been places where having a CB was pointless because there was noone else around using one.

So, it's not a critical piece of equipment to own but is nice to have sometimes. I drove for years without one and sometimes I'll go months without ever turning it on...

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  6. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
  7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Ok ######! I’m convinced! You’ve talked me into the app. But, be warned, if it doesn’t tell me who is and who isn’t wearing panties, I’m deleting it!

VinceBlack, flood, mslashbar and 6 others Thank this.
  8. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    There are no cons to having a CB

all
    These people are acting like if you have a cb you’re not allowed to use WAZE and Google maps and GPS

I’m pretty sure you’re allowed to use both .

no one can inform you that you have a flat or no turn signals or are dragging a strap , using a app on their phone .

but the CB works for that very well.

LameMule, skellr, flood and 2 others Thank this.
  9. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Twice yesterday it came in handy.
    Early am waiting to roll out and the radio is really active because I 75 so. Of Cincinnati is an ice skating rink, cars and trucks in ditches, So I was able to delay going on duty and save some time.
    Then in the Afternoon was rolling up
    North on US 41 in Indiana and at hwy 14
    Was completely shut down and thanks to a local trash hauler was able to get right around it with no problems.
    As I was taking the detour and warning others I was watching trucks continue towards the Accident where they'd be screwed for quite a while.
    Thank you CB brothers

VinceBlack, Numb, MACK E-6 and 5 others Thank this.
  10. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I drove OTR for two years and never used a CB. For some reason I can't ever figure out what people are saying. I'm more of a reader/visual than listener/auditory.

11. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I’m not sure you want to see the man with no panties, but if you do, who am I to judge?

Speed_Drums, Oxbow and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.