"Protect from freezing" dry van experiences.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Feb 17, 2019.

1. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Ever open a real cold bottle and then it freezes and sprays everywhere? We always just idled for the vibrations but what if the truck idles smooth?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I remember drivers putting portable heaters in the back of dry van trailers; do they still do that?

Mototom, TallJoe and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That's all true but here is reality ...
    One bottle has to be frozen or damaged and the entire load can claimed as damaged. Just because they accept it on the dock does not mean that they won't file a cargo claim within a week or two.

Op, Water is different from processed food, what you have should be in a reefer with a temp just above freezing set in the unit.

TallJoe and ZVar Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve ran into this same situation. Never had a problem. Really, if it were or had ever been a problem, Shipper would have a concern.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yes. The overall mentality is that if there is nothing on the BOL saying "protect from freezing" and they deliberately load it on a van, you'd think you should be good without worries, even if it gets damaged. But nothing much you can do when they simply put it back on the trailer...stating on the BOL - "refused : product arrived frozen".
    I think, I should be all right, if they take it tomorrow before it gets too cold, if not, I'll discuss with the broker about storing it at a local warehouse. The value of the product is about 16 grand - too little to file a claim yet too much to pay it out of the pocket. I am just assuming the worst case but hope for the best.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Poly use to use infrared propane heaters for the drivers 10hr breaks when they haul onions out of the NW.

TallJoe, Dave_in_AZ and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I wouldn't say anything at the receiver. Sometimes they don't even notice.

9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I have a temperature sensor inside my reefer trailer in the top center. When my trailer is empty, I have noticed that the inside of the trailer is always warmer than the outside temperature by about 10-20 degrees. Now, a reefer trailer has insulation in the walls and is designed to be almost fully air sealed. I would say a dry van may be 5-10 degrees warmer than outside temperature.

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'd it doesn't say protect from freezing on the BOLs, I wouldn't get in a twist.

I just delivered a load of Capri Sun, 2796 cases, to Portland, and it was WTF cold, and they were fine.

D.Tibbitt, InTooDeep, TallJoe and 2 others Thank this.
  11. SoDel

SoDel Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Southern Delaware
    A chef friend just told me that he has frozen hot sauce he has made but it had to go to -20 to fully freeze.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.