Providing warnings that a Texas Coastal port will be closing its gates due to severe weather

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mike Murphy, Jul 29, 2021.

1. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I think it ought to be bigger than just Texas, but yes, start in Texas and yes, I think it would work.

MO DOT and several other states have bad road conditions on a app, but so far no national app that I am aware of, but timely information about hazards, is always useful.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    I've seen Clear alerts on TXDOT signs as well. I have no idea what that is.

4. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I think those are amber or silver alerts that have been cleared, are no longer active.

PacoTaco Thanks this.
  5. Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Well, I am ashamed of myself.

I just checked the Texas Department of Public Safety website to get more information on the CLEAR alert and found that there are actually six Alert programs: Amber, Silver, Blue, Endangered Missing Persons Alert, Camo, and CLEAR. The explanations of the different types of Alerts is given in the following DPS weblink.

AMBER, Silver, Blue, Endangered Missing Persons, Camo & CLEAR Alert Programs | Department of Public Safety

Actually, the only two types of Alerts I've ever seen on ITS signs are Amber and Silver. I've also gotten these two types of Alerts on my Cell phone (that I can remember).

TxDOT also has the DriveTexas.org website which provides TxDOT personnel and contractors with an a state map which can be updated with various types of information - it is not an App though. Based on my review of the map - it is only showing construction zones and driver advisories at the moment.

DriveTexas

Mike

NavigatorWife and PacoTaco Thank this.
  6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If you ever see crazy bullhaulers running in the hurricane along the coastel bend don't think they are stupid idiots. They are on livestock evacuation missions. Lots of ranches go under water and need the livestock moved furthur up to higher safer ground. Then be hauled back when it is all over.
    Problem is ranches can’t afford to risk a move (stress on animals and cost of something that may be unnessary) on an estimated prediction of time and place of land fall and have to pretty much sit it out until the actual storm hit takes place. As an example many times i’ve seen landfall said to be Corpus Christi region only for it to right hook hard to the east at last minute and hit Houston region instead or southwest for Brownsville/South Padre. Big coast line we deal with.

7. Mike Murphy

Apr 28, 2014
    SmallPackage -

Thank you very much for this information. The detail you provided helps explain more what moving livestock during hurricane conditions involves and the difficulty in making the decision to move livestock or not.

I received one survey response from a trucker pulling a pot belly livestock trailer who indicated he moved livestock under hurricane conditions in Texas. As I understand it, a bull trailer is one level and has heavier framing members since bulls are heavier than cows; a livestock trailer is has two levels. When you use the term 'bull hauler' does that apply to all livestock haulers - or only those who haul bulls?

I'm only thinking out loud - but I wonder what the factors are to determine whether livestock is far enough away from the coast so they are not endangered or are in danger due to flooding, wind blown debris and perhaps other risks I don't even know about.

Thanks again,

Mike

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Bull haulers is just a traditional generic term from the old days. Most modern 18 wheeler semi type livestock trailers will haul any kind of animal. You just have to adjust the decking and gates inside them to accommodate.
    My great-grandfather started a “bull service” breeding business in SE Missouri in 1938. My uncle took it from my Great Grandmother in ‘65 at her passing and moved it down here. One of the big things he got into was the evacuation and boarding of coastal livestock in the early 70’s after some of the big storms hit. Lots of cattle were lost or stolen. Yes people will “loot” livestock. He got in on rhe ground floor with members of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. He was one of the first to do this for Armstrong, King, and a bunch of big ones along the coast from Corpus up to around Port Lavaca and Victoria. Another associate/friend of his handled the coast from there to Beaumont and Orange area. At one time he had feed lots to board them in Gonzales, La Grange, Three Rivers, and home in Marion, and one up in Montana.
    They didn’t get moved too far because of time and the amount of trips to be made. The key was to get them in a higher elevation away from flooding as quickly as possible.

NavigatorWife and spindrift Thank this.
  9. Mike Murphy

Apr 28, 2014
    SmallPackage -

Thank you very much for explaining the term 'bull hauler' and providing the other insights and history about transporting livestock along the Texas coast. This is helpful information and points out that some types of trucking operations might need to be at the coast as the storm is nearing shore because fo the circumstances you described.

I would be very interested to know if there are other types of trucking operations or cargo types that might require a trucker to be near the coast when a hurricane is approaching or might need to stay near the coast longer before evacuating.

I really appreciate the time you took to write this response.

Mike

Gatordude and SmallPackage Thank this.
  10. Mike Murphy

Apr 28, 2014
    We met with managers with the Port of Houston Authority earlier this week and learned some new information about their processes. As a result, I've created a new thread on the Car Transporter Forum.

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/t...s-do-when-a-hurricane-is-approaching.2341314/

Also, I realize that taking a survey is not folks most favorite thing to do, however, if you are willing to provide some basic information about whether you operate at a port or not, truck fleet size, types of trailers you use, and your experiences operating in severe weather there is a good chance you will recall important information and give advice that can potentially help reduce risk to truckers in Texas and other states.

https://utexas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ey5AoVngvc03xm6

Again, I know you likely think surveys don't do any good. However, I led a study for the Texas State Legislature regarding whether passenger vehicle safety inspection program in Texas should be eliminated or not. I posted a survey and (eventually) received over 25,000 responses the (early) results of which were published in the report. There were many other factors considered by the Legislators, however, the public's responses stating they thought vehicle safety inspections were important to safety helped ensure inspections remained.

https://library.ctr.utexas.edu/ctr-publications/iac/sb2076.pdf

Thanks very much

Mike

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  11. Mike Murphy

Apr 28, 2014
    It has been a while since I've posted to this topic - we've developed some draft recommendations and we'd appreciate your review and comments. Keep in mind that these recommendations only apply to Texas coastal ports. Also, please keep in mind that these are draft recommendations which our sponsors may choose to further modify:

1) Recommend that ports improve communications with trucking companies and individual truckers (owner operators) by developing a port emergency email / cell phone text message notification system. Truckers and other interested parties desiring these notifications will register for the emergency system notifications through an on line registration system on the port website.

2) Recommend that emergency notifications are sent to trucking companies, truckers and other interested parties not less than:

o 72 hours before a hurricane makes landfall and is approaching a port(s)

o At least 24 hours in advance of the time / date that the port will close truck terminal entry gates due to a hurricane or other emergency

o At least 24 hours advanced notification when the port will reopen truck terminal gates. These notifications should contain specific information about restrictions or other operational conditions truckers need to consider.

3) Recommend that TxDOT Travel Information Centers (TICs) maintain multiple, up to date contact information for port authorities / or information hot lines that can be provided to enroute truckers when they call the TIC for information about the status of port terminal entry gates.

4) Recommend that TxDOT coordinate with the port(s) and monitor the port emergency notification system information.

5) Recommend that, as agreed with the port authority, TxDOT may choose to display port emergency notifications on (Intelligent Transportation System) ITS signs along all freight routes leading to affected ports as one of the (rolling) emergency message types. To ensure timely notification to truckers who might not be aware of, or have access to, direct notifications from the port, the TxDOT notifications should be placed on ITS signs along freight routes from the nearest ITS signs in relation to the Texas state border to ITS signs in the affected port cities.

We interviewed the CEO of a trucking company in South Carolina who operates at the port in Charleston and Savannah, Georgia. Based on his comments about the effectiveness of South Carolina / Georgia ports keeping truckers notified, I visited the Savanna port website and was able to sign up for hurricane and emergency notifications. This same system is used to electronically log truckers into or out of port terminals when making container or cargo deliveries / pickups.

We have worked to keep in mind comments in this blog regarding the fact that not all truckers have the same communication's systems in their truck, nor are they 'backed up' by a dispatcher or spouse keeping them informed about weather, roadway and port closures when the trucker might still be hundreds of miles from these conditions.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts about the recommendations and any additional feedback about port communications with truckers in South Carolina, Georgia and other states with effective emergency notification systems.

Thanks very much,

Mike Murphy

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.