Question about bulk potatoes.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Sounds like they were pretty warm when they were loaded. I would keep a close eye on the reefer to make sure it dont shut off on you again. I would Definetally close both vents... The humidity in that part of the country can play hell with a reefer because a reefer has to remove the humidity before it can cool the air. By closing the vents you keep alot of that humidity out.

But if the boss says to do otherwise... Well the boss is the boss. If you do as he says and its wrong he can't blame you.

Best of luck.

Edit: as long as your moving leaving the back vent open will help draw out humidity... But close it if you stop for more than a few mins, or if its raining.

KB3MMX and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    A reefer trailer is designed to "maintain" the temp of the product loaded. It is not designed to pull 80/90 degree potatoes down to 52 degrees.

4. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    The same happens with melons. I picked up a load up in North Florida. They had just been picked from the field. Those suckers were radiating heat all day and night. It took over 24 hours for the reefer to lower the temperature inside the box.

5. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I dropped the load at our yard, reefer was shutting off every 45 minutes and I had to turn it back on everytime, error codes 26 and 32 low refrigeration capacity. The final temperature when I dropped it was 58°F, which didn't seem too bad. With the vent open it was about 60-64°F. Thanks for all your help, my company pulls alot of these bulk potato loads so I'll know for next time.

That's what I thought too, glad I'm not the only one. I'm guessing the potatoes were hot as hell from being in the sun so in return the reefer couldn't keep the load cold.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Old mark

Old mark Light Load Member

May 22, 2016
    Taters are pretty durable. Loaded spuds in my hopper on Sunday. Still waiting in line at the plant to unload. 10-14 hour wait times are common here. Never had a hot load rejection.

7. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Just an update on the load incase it helps someone else.

The load was fine even after being at 60°F nearly the entire trip. No problems from the reciever (Frito lay). Apparently it's hard to cool bulk potatoes.

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Read post 12......he knows his stuff.......

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Do you have a thermometer? I pulped pretty much every load when I was running reefer. Some day it will save you when a shipper loads something too hot.

10. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    So 45k of floor loaded potatoes in a vented van is OK? I know there are some produce/hay loads not recommended.

11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Yes, but if you have logistics posts, then I would tape them up to about knee level.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.