Question About EIN Number

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Florida Playboy, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    This isn't a trucking related question but since there are many people here well versed on tax laws I figured I'd ask. I know somebody that wants to work as an independent contractor CNA. The company she wants to work with is requiring her to get an EIN number. I don't know why she can't just get paid on a 1099 on her SS number and file as a sole proprietor? Can somebody shed some light on getting paid on a regular 1099 with an SS number verses through an EIN number?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bobtrucks2204

bobtrucks2204 Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Hmm, not sure why the driver would need an EIN. That is an "Employer Identification Number" from the IRS. Usually needed to identify a business entity that hires employees and to set up withholding accounts for payroll taxes. Also used for estate purposes when an executor of an estate files estate reports and final taxes for the deceased.

Maybe they are thinking of an I-9 which is used for identification. Used to prove citizenship of employees. I guess that could be used for independents too.

Normally an SS # and a form for 1099 designation would be enough.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I would guess that by paying to an EIN, they are less likely to have the whole "employee v. contractor" issue arise because the entity they are paying is an "employer" (implying the entity they are contracting with will hire its own employees and therefore be responsible for withholding and paying the employment taxes), instead of an "individual" (where the company might be found liable for those taxes that should have been withheld and weren't).

Florida Playboy Thanks this.
  5. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    FYI, I just went in to the IRS office here in Albuquerque (IRS now requires an appointment for office visits, and it might be a couple of weeks lead time requirement) and filed my 2290 tax return, you need an EIN for that purpose. Maybe you can use taxpayers ID, but I think they want the EIN for that filing. It's easy, and it's free. Just do it, it's a pretty handy document as time and events occur.

6. lcfd15

lcfd15 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    They'll do that so they can write your pay off as a receipt rather than fIle it as payment for a 1099 contractor. For instance, you'd be considered as a power unit for that company even if contracted under 1099. If you run under your own EIN you have to bill them or have an agreement of payment and receive it as payment for services that you have to claim under your own ein as a business.

It's a way for the company requiring this to write it off a business expense rather than payment for contracted services through 1099.

7. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Icfd15, I don't believe it's a company requirement. The Federal Government requires all commercial vehicles of various sizes and shapes to pay this tax. Companies can either reimburse or not, but it's a requirement for all commercial vehicles. If the company pays or reimburses, they use the deduction, of course, it's their money. I never thought to ask if my carrier would reimburse, but I've done it 4x and it hasn't come up yet. So I don't think so. I pay the fee, then just file it as a business expense in April.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    EIN is a tax related, Employee Identification Number usually your SSN, which is not really supposed to be such but they use SSN for everything.

Part of the EIN is to set up a situation to check you against a database to be sure you are a Citizen. That really does not have any point here because it takes a lot just to get a CDL.

Be very careful what you are getting into. As a company driver I could care less what they used for a EIN, all I wanted was the W4's or was that W2's come tax time in Janurary. If they wanted EIN from me for anything else it's going to involve 1099 somewhere. Either out of my pocket or out of the company that hired my one or three trucks or whatever.

9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Well, everyone her took this off the rails, as you noted your question isn't trucking related ... but can apply obliquely. It has to do with the gray world of contracting in general.

In the industry your friend is in, she can thank the contractors at Cisco who sued for employee status and won, for this inconvenience.

The company your friend is contracting with is protecting themselves for lawsuits. By getting an EIN, they can clearly make the distinction that they are contracted with a business for a long term contract. The other alternative is as a temporary contractor. In which case there would be an automatic termination of contract after short period of time. She would not be eligible for re contract, with that company, until an equal period of time has passed.

10. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
  11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Yeah, that sounds about right. My initial EIN was pretty simple. When I moved over to an LLC with an S Corp tax structure, I had to get a new EIN. Still was very simple.

flatbeb mac Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.