Question about household current grounds from an inverter

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I recently replaced a set of two inverters (one 300w pure sine wave & one 1000w square wave) with a single 1000w pure sine wave inverter.

In the old configuration, the inverters were grounded in series. The 300w inverter was grounded to the ground post of the 1000w inverter, and the 1000w inverter was truck chassis grounded.

The power for the two old inverters was wired in parallel. Either unit could fail and the other unit would still have power from the batteries.

The UPS battery backup I used to power my CPAP and Laptop was connected to the 300 watt unit. (Yes, I was a tard. I never paid close attention to the configuration of the inverters. I thought I had a single inverter that was pure sine wave. Smoking a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter is not unexpected when you hook a high power gaming laptop to the circuit it feeds. I'm lucky I didn't smoke the laptop.)

After replacing the old set of inverters (the 300 watt unit lost it's magic smoke.) The UPS started throwing errors and clicking noises with the new 1000 watt pure sine wave unit.

This likely means the UPS is smoked too. Clicking noises normally means dead batteries. I have bought a new unit. I have not installed the new unit yet, until I am certain of the new 1000w inverter.

Now, getting closer to the question... I also bought a standard household grounded outlet tester because I didn't want to cascade smoke more electronics if something was wrong with the install. I got a 'plug bug' which tests grounded 110v AC household circuits. When I plug it into the 1000 watt inverter, it shows a bad ground.

There is a big difference between a vehicle chassis ground, and terrestrial earth grounds. I know this. Is that difference significant enough that a plug bug reading a 110v inverter circuit with a vehicle chassis ground will indicate an error **even if the ground is appropriate for a vehicle chassis ground?**

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I would imagine if your not earth grounded your bug will be buggy. Your buggy sits on rubber tires insulating it from the earth. Try a copper rod some day when you get an end spot and then plug your bug in,see if you get a different result. Of course, getting the rod back might be a problem. I used to use an old bumper jack to pull those up.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am not sure. There is a copper rod about 10 feet by one inch driven into the land next to the house's foundation to protect and ground the entire home.

I wonder if you wired to a ground stake and slap it into the ground soil below your rig when sitting still? It's a idea I have no idea if it will work or not. Obviously not when driving.

The Chassis itself should be the ground. As long your basic circuit completes back to the battery in some way.

My post is idea and a theory. I don't know what all will happen in a big rig. I have used 300 watt inverters to drive and feed a older laptop from the 2000 era with the Coppermine 800 mhz cpu with a TPA of about 110 watts. It did a good job for about 10 years until it finally burned up trying to feed flip phones in our car.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.