Question about steam heat when hauling latex in a tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Life on Wheels, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Here’s the setup: I have a load of latex being delivered in Upper Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday at 12:30. Dispatch is telling me I need to stop at Express in Cincinnati to get the load heated by steam before I deliver. So my questions are:
    1. How hot do I tell them to get it? The paperwork says to deliver between 90° and 120° on Wednesday.
    2. How long will it stay warm considering the temps will be in the 20s Tuesday and Wednesday? It’s about three hours from the tank wash to the delivery.
    3. How long does it take to heat up a load? A couple of hours?
    Any other relevant information y’all can give me is appreciated. I’m an O/O, and we don’t get the same training or attention as company drivers. I know y’all will be a big help, so thanks in advance!

pathfinder1361 and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Have dispatch tell you what to heat it to….

personally I’d do like 100 or 105 With a decent insulated trailer and 45,000 lbs of product it will stay warm for a couple of days easy……

it will probably be more than a couple of hours . Depends on the tank wash

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    depends on the steam pressure and it they use a steam trap. Good insulation should only use a degree or so a day

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  5. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Ahh ok. I was worried it would lose its heat sooner. Thanks for the info!

pathfinder1361 and austinmike Thank this.
  6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Are you running in-transit heat?

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  7. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    No. That’s why they’re sending me to get it heated before the delivery. This is my first time doing this

8. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Depends on the tank wash. Most places it'll take 4-8 hrs to heat a full load. I'd heat it to 115 if you're not familiar with that specific trailer, better safe than sorry. With temp sensitive loads it's better to slosh everything around prior to getting to the receiver just to make sure the whole load is the same temp. I learned the hard way. Valves aren't usually insulated and if the customer pulls a sample from the valve and it's cold they can reject you no matter what your trailer thermometer says

9. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    If your truck and trailer are equipped for ITH, and if you have some way to regulate the temperature, then you might want to ask dispatch about hooking it up and using it. It may save you hours waiting for the tank wash to steam the product.

What temperature is the product right now?

10. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Good point. It might be worth asking the crew to spray the valves and piping with the steam hose to warm them up.

11. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I don’t have ITH, so I’ll definitely be making a stop at the tank wash. I have the extra time because I don’t mess around once I get loaded. I drive hard to make sure I have extra time before I deliver just in case things like this come up. I’ll get the steam done today, then drive to the delivery in the next morning. It’s about a three hour drive.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.