Question about working 14 hours per day!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by free.spirit, Jun 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Well I will console you, to run 600 miles in a truck will probably take you closer to 11 hours, past this you need to know the company does not give a crap if you like or not, or if you quit or not. By the sound of your post you need to go get a job pushing a broom at Walmart, cuase noboby here wants to run into cry babys like you while we are takeing out 10 hours off.

10 hours off means at 10 hours and 1 minute your ready to hit it for another 10 or 11 hours. Most of us do this because we want to run......

Good Luck at Wally World.

nredfor88, SoulScream84 and Jaebo74 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well since this is your ONE and only posting, and most likely you will never return, i will say this about your posting..

i was a CDL instructor at a well known CDL School in my state.

on the first day of class, a young guy, i'd say late 20's, early 30's pulled up in his BMW....

i gave the A-Typical lecture/orientation of truck driving.

the hours, the inconveniences, the at time hardships of not being able to do your laundry, take a daily shower, but maybe a shower the next day, finding a place to park after 5PM and getting your food cooked your way, or even getting a meal if the truck stop restaurant is closed.

come the first coffee break of class, about 1.5 hours after class started....he and his BMW were gone........never to be seen again.

not all days are hardship days, not all days are good days. will you work (log) all the available hours of the day?

most likely...YES, it is expected of you to well....do the fricking job.

frankly, i don't even believe you are really going to CDL school.

but rather, just came here to see what a rukus you could start.

4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Back in the latter part of 2019 a while before this Covid thing started I went with a friend to attend another friend's funeral in NC. On the way back we stopped at a truck stop to eat a late lunch. This guy walked in looked about 16 and started in about how much he was a veteran trucker. I was not in all that good a mood and most of the time will tune such a person out. That day I did not. I knew I could trip him up if I was careful because most likely he knew some drivers he would know most of the common things. So I decided to ask him about the Rayville Louisiana Port of entry! I told him I had been retired since 2012 and was wondering if that POE was still open. Of course, he fell for it and everybody around started laughing when he said he had to call the Marshals from there once. A few minutes later he left and actually was on foot. I guess he must have lived within walking distance. I felt bad about it later because I generally let these types go, but that day the laugh was what I needed.

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The answer to help the driver is running cross country loads. Look for company that runs 1800+ mile loads. So you only driving most days. This will leave more time to shower everyday. It's not like you are forced to drive 500-600 miles every day. Some loads will have extra time on them because of the weekend and they can't deliver till Monday morning.

When I did cross country runs some had extra time and I would stop at Iowa 80 truck stop and watch free movies all day. Something I would stop every day at 3pm and kill time like that.

7. Jaebo74

Jaebo74 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2021
    Naw, it was just another fly by

8. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Lol

I found getting fired by a trucking company almost impossible

slow.rider Thanks this.
  9. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Yeah, i guess when drivers are hard to find, it's better to have a carpy driver than a parked truck.

10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I'm not entirely sure I understand your complaint. As you are not driving yet, I suspect you don't understand the 8/11/14/70 hour clocks properly.

First, if you work for a company that does a lot of Canada / US border crossings, your company might want you to run long days and take 36 hour breaks every 5 or 6 days (Canada needs 36's not 34's, if I recall correctly.)

If you work for a US company that does no border crossings, most companies actually prefer you to run 8.5 hour days, 7 days a week if you can.

You can "work" a 14 hour day and spend most of it doing almost nothing, and only use a little on duty time from your 70. For instance, you stop on Monday night, deliver Tuesday morning, and your next pickup isn't until Tuesday late afternoon. Most of that day is going to be spent parked somewhere. When your truck is stopped and you are not actively doing any job-related duties, you can go off-duty, and not burn your 70 hour clock.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Nope, we'd rather have a truck sitting than hire somebody who'll wind up costing us money in repairs, late freight, and accidents.
    One bad driver can cost you everything you have.

Roberts450, 88 Alpha, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.