Question regarding 150 air mile rule

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by kay_ray, Sep 15, 2022.

1. kay_ray

kay_ray Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    With the spot market rates going to #### I ve been doing alot of small runs mostly under 150 air mile radius and grab a few longer ones here and there. I was wondering can 150 air mile eld exemption be used on the days I stay under 150 air miles and return to my starting domicile in 14 hours. And use eld for longer runs and keep record for those days ?.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I think you can use paper all the time if you don't exceed (150 mile) trips 8 days out of 30.

all_hos_fact_sheets_508.pdf (dot.gov)

Short-Haul Exception and Electronic Logging Devices/Logbooks While operating under the short-haul exception, drivers are permitted to keep a time record instead of recording time in a graph grid or with an ELD. HOS Changes 1 4 Short-Haul Exception Adverse Driving Conditions Exception 30-Minute Break Sleeper Berth Provision 2 3 Changes to the Short-Haul Exception This factsheet explains the differences between the short-haul exception under the previous HOS rule and the new rule that takes effect on September 29, 2020. Property and passenger carriers using the short-haul exception in §395.1(e)(1) are not required to take a 30-minute break from driving, and are permitted to record hours in a time record, rather than a graph grid log or electronic logging device (ELD). Short-haul operators can drive within a larger air-mile radius and have a longer duty-period under the new rule. No other provisions of the §395.1(e)(1) short-haul exception have changed, nor has the non-CDL short-haul exception in §395.1(e)(2) (property-carrying). • Time must include the total time for the 7 preceding days for new hires or drivers used intermittently (§ 395.8(j)(2)) • Records must be maintained for 6 months If a driver is required to complete a log for: • 8 or fewer days within the last 30 days, a driver can use a paper log with a graph grid or an ELD • More than 8 days within the last 30 days, a driver generally must use an ELD to record time for that day

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    While yes, why?
    You are still bound by the 14 and 11 hour clocks (even if the 11 hour clock isn't enforced), plus you have to add those hours to your 70.
    I mean, since you are already running the ELD, why would you not keep running it?

I mean, I know why, but if you are asking what is legal, why are you looking to work longer hours than legally allowed?

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I prefer to sleep at home instead of 30 miles away after a long day.

It is not always about working longer.

6. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    I prefer a lot of things, but I don't think that directly stating an intent to violate HOS in a public forum is among one the best ideas out there.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    It is not my intent to violate the HOS, mine is to drive home legally. PC.
    Fixed it for ya.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Except that's not a valid use of PC, so it would still be illegal....
    And if you claim PC, it's also log falsification.

9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    List of Proper Use of Personal Conveyance
    list-proper-uses-personal-conveyance.pdf (105.73 KB)
    The following are examples of when operating a CMV is considered off-duty:
    1. Time spent traveling from a driver’s en route lodging (such as a motel or truck stop) to restaurants and entertainment facilities.

2. Commuting between the driver’s terminal and his or her residence, between trailer-drop lots and the driver’s residence, and between work sites and his or her residence. In these scenarios, the commuting distance combined with the release from work and start to work times must allow the driver enough time to obtain the required restorative rest as to ensure the driver is not fatigued.

3. Time spent traveling to a nearby, reasonable, safe location to obtain required rest after loading or unloading. The time driving under personal conveyance must allow the driver adequate time to obtain the required rest in accordance with minimum off-duty periods under 49 CFR 395.3(a)(1) (property-carrying vehicles) or 395.5(a) (passenger-carrying vehicles) before returning to on-duty driving, and the resting location must be the first such location reasonably available.

4. Moving a CMV at the request of a safety official during the driver’s off-duty time

5. Time spent traveling in a motorcoach without passengers to en route lodging (such as motel or truck stop), or to restaurants and entertainment facilities and back to the lodging. In this scenario, the driver of the motorcoach can claim personal conveyance provided the driver is off-duty. Other off-duty drivers may be on board the vehicle, and are not considered passengers.

6. Time spent transporting personal property while off-duty.

7. Authorized use of a CMV to travel home after working at an offsite location.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

And which one of those allows you to finish a trip when out of hours?
    Here's a hint, none of them.
    There is not a PC guidance that allows one to go from a receiver or a random location to home.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.