Questions about USA

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by DBL_TIME, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DBL_TIME

DBL_TIME <strong>"Two Mints in One"</strong>

Feb 9, 2008
    I would welcome any advice or info on USA. I was wondering some things like, do they let you drop and bobtail home or if you have to have enough room for the tractor and trailer? If it isn't working out with your trainer can you request another one? and What could you bring home if you were willing to run when ever where ever?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ErgoSum88

ErgoSum88 Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Benton, AR
    I lived about two hours away from the nearest terminal, so they did let me bobtail home. I told them flat out I couldn't go home with a trailer so they let me do it. If you live five hours away from a terminal..... they might not let you do it. It all depends.

And yes, absolutely, they will let you switch trainers if you have a genuine problem. Granted, you might have to go through another long wait and more hassle to find another trainer in your area but they definitely will work to accomodate you... if you have serious problems with your trainer.

Another word on trainers... most of them are old white guys and not very nice so if you are a "youngster" who listens to rap music and sags his pants.... you probably are going to have problems. Thats not to say we don't have young trainers who can get along with other people their age, but the odds of being matched up with one is pretty slim.

My first year I made about 600 per week, take home pay. It goes up and down, obviously, depending on how many miles you run. If you take the per diem option your weekly checks are bigger but your year-end refund will be smaller, and your social security retirement contributions will be smaller. But if you just want to maximize your weekly paycheck, I suggest you take the per diem option.

Thats all I can think of right now.

4. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    Thanks for all of your info. it is very much appreciated. How long have you been with USA?

5. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    sorry i'm a newbie What does per diem mean?

6. ErgoSum88

ErgoSum88 Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Benton, AR
    I worked for USA about two years, I don't work there anymore. I'm currently looking for another company (preferably local).

When you go through orientation, they will ask you if you want "per diem" pay. Per diem pay is untaxed income that you recieve for being away from home every day. Basically, you pay less taxes, and recieve more of your pay every week.

The downside to paying less taxes is... it reduces your contributions to social security. It also reduces your gross income... so at the end of the year you actually get a smaller refund.

7. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    Did you have any problems with your home time? and Is there a chance to go straight from orientation to the road with a trainer.

8. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    where abouts is the city you live. i live in the FL. panhandle and is sometimes tough to get home EXACTLY on time. 1/2 day to 1 day either way. i am happy here.

9. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    Live just north of Dallas never had any problems getting home so far been with them 5 months

10. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    I live in northwest georgia. According to mapquest about four hours from spartanburg.

11. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    you shouldnt have any problems

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.