Questions for others that do lots of drop and hook

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Farmerbob1, Oct 5, 2018.

1. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    We have a customer that has a slope in their trlr drop line and you will darn exstend it all the way before it reaches the ground.

Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    God forbid you get some upper body exercise :rolleyes:

driverdriver and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    And they usually have a door in the back of the cab to run out and hook up the lines quick, at least most of the ones I've seen.

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If I can move them reasonably easily, I will. I am more concerned about time and safety than having an aversion to using elbow grease.

Ramps will work, even if there are only six inches between trailers. Ramps won't land me on my ### in a snow/ice covered lot if i lose my footing because i am forcing a crank.

Winter is coming.

6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    So, actually, this will work. I have to do this from time to time with containers.

Dump your air bags, put a couple of 2x6's (a hunk of 4x4 or 6x6 works well also) on top of the fifth wheel, back up almost to the king pin, reinflate airbags. As your suspension rises and makes contact with the trailer, it will lift the trailer enough to take pressure off it, so that you can crank the landing gear 4 or 5 cranks. Dump your air bags, remove blocks, reinflate airbags and check height. Obviously check the height difference beforehand.

Dennixx and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I prefer dropping your tractor airbags, putting timber under your drive tires, backing so your drives are sitting on timbers, then inflating your airbags. Your way and my way both work, but my way keeps dirty 5th-wheel grease from getting on your timbers and then you your truck and everything you touch in the next hour.

Slowmover1 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Call it a yoga stretch move, going down should not be much of a problem, just watch for them old cranks ready to give up, that handle will take off and start spinning quickly taking teeth and all with it.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Just call the broker and cancel the pickup. Tell them it is too much work.

10. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    If you boys can’t crank the landing gear on trailers here and there, god forbid you ever have to leave door slamming...

Disclaimer: This comment isn’t directed at the old timers having trouble, or those with limitations, we talking just the sissies... I respect my elders..

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Slowmover1, stillwurkin and KB3MMX Thank this.
  11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    We also pick up trailers, tank trailers mostly that don't have any mechanism to raise or lower the landing gear, they just have pins in them. If they are too high you have to do the same thing, use a 4x4, get the weight off the legs, shove them up a notch or two, then drop the air bags.
    This is not entry level stuff, and it can be dangerous...

Cattleman84 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.