Racism in truck stops 2021

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Nativedriver, Jun 16, 2021.

1. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I know I am, no PC and speak my mind
    Have a very course filter

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    What is a poc driver. I'm old.

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Person of Color.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  5. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Next time do this, wait for next driver to pull fill up gas, explain situation, and see if cashier would give keys from shower to "white guy". If they will -yro that's racist, if not - that's laziness. I understand that 4:30 in a morning it's not exactly time for brain to function, but creativity always have to work!

6. Nativedriver

Nativedriver Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Gas? You mean fuel!

WildTiger1990 Thanks this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Racism? Probably not. More likely it's a communication breakdown between you and somebody who doesn't like their job very much. Truck stop people as a rule aren't the most tactful group you'll run across.
    If you've been around much you've probably run across blatant racism. I'm sure you've heard all the words that come from ignorant people. The fact that you're asking us if what you experienced had anything to do with being a POC tells me that you're unsure about the whole experience. Honestly, it doesn't sound like that big a deal. Certainly nothing to lose sleep over. You ran across a mean jerk. They come in all genders and every color you can name.
    Deal with whatever happened and move on. Don't give people like that clerk the power to make you unhappy.

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You nailed it. I can't count the times I have run into no available showers because they are all dirty. Most Truck Stops late at night like that sometimes want the fuel desk attendants and/or another employee to clean them. If the Truck Stop gets busy especially one like a Loves will run out quickly.

This is how you determine "other" motives. You look for patterns. One time I will let pass. A 2nd or 3rd time especially with the same fuel desk clerk. That's when I start filming the showers after I am told there are no clean ones.

Farmtractor9900 and bzinger Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I can only speak for me but I tend to spend about 5-10 minutes in the shower vs about 5 minutes to brush my teeth.

My take on the situation as OP lays it out in post #1 is that the guy was already in the shower and it was the last one for the shift until the next crew started. 15 minutes rolls by and the next crew has already started cleaning showers (I'd assume there's probably more than 1 person doing the cleaning if there's a dozen showers to look after).

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  10. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE

Hmm , I thought I might be the only one who takes 5 min showers.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. Nativedriver

Nativedriver Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2021
    You are probably correct. And I would take it for face value if it wasn’t for the death stares when I got my coffee. Mind you, I’m very introverted so I hadn’t said/done anything to make her so ornery. As mentioned by other posters, this could have been and incredibly rude female. But please take in mind, she wasn’t rude to anyone else...

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.