Rand McNally ELD-50 - Are we the only ones having issues?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by ohiouser, Dec 29, 2017.

Is the Rand McNally ELD-50 and android app working for you?

1. Yes

3.6%
  2. no

67.9%
  3. sometimes

28.6%
  1. Benjamin D

Benjamin D Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2017
    With all due respect, why did you buy the ELD 50? It is well known that the Rand McNally ELD's don't work well. Rand is a map company, so why did you think their ELD would work? There are only a couple companies that know how to do logs, and they aren't these crappy smart phone applications. You get what you pay for....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I would blame Rand Mcnally for putting inferior product into production. Its a pos and should be pulled from shelves nationwide. If we could start class action suit to get our money back that would be great. Mark tries to defend RM in every post but I do understand him as he's salaried RM employee.

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Company man, the boss buys, I just try to make it work.

Sorry Felicia, you probably got on the phone with the rep after I was through with him. I just excel at aggravating people.

It's a gift.

I gotta say 4.6.4 is the most stable yet, but I didn't clear my cache over the weekend and now running for 14+ consecutive days I'm seeing another failure coming on. Right now I can't get it to connect to the internet via the ELD. So hopefully tonight I can get some wifi access from somewhere and certify my logs or I'm going to loose the last two days.

Office says I haven't synched in 28 hours. But from my side everything's rosy. I might run an inspection on myself later, maybe THAT will force it to connect.

5. Infosaur

UPDATE:

Rebooted the ELD by unplugging it. (I oughta just wire in a switch)
    That's got it back online. Dispatch says they still can't see me, might take a minute to get through all the networks.

6. Mad at RandMcnally

Mad at RandMcnally Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2018
    We have 16 units Rand McNally TND765 and we have nothing but problems. Been sending units back right and left. Finally the Rand McNally technician said they won't work in our trucks. The sales man who sold them to us for over 700.00per unit guaranteed they would. Now Rand McNally wants us to pay up a 3year contract to them and won't take the units back that they can't get to work in our trucks. Has anyone have a lawsuit going on Rand McNally?

mitmaks Thanks this.
  7. Mad at RandMcnally

Mar 27, 2018
    After buying 16 units of TND765 A Rand McNally technician tells us they aren't working in our trucks after repeat sending units back for repairs. They need to be investigated for misleading ELD units for commercial trucks.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  8. Mad at RandMcnally

Mar 27, 2018
    We tried that too over and over and over, either they don't have the right technician or they aren't certified ELD logging system for the DOT. I think they are stealing money for bad products and the department of transportation should step in.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  9. Mad at RandMcnally

Mar 27, 2018
    I totally agree and would be in on the class action suit to get our money back too. We now have over $13,000 dollars on units they can't keep running and if we want out they want us to pay for three years of service that they can't even give us now!

mitmaks Thanks this.
  10. Infosaur

Actually at this point, I'm still kinda rooting for a national shut down. (I know, I'm such an anarchist). The law is dumb, the tech isn't ready for prime time, we're overworked and underpaid and we're all supposed to "fudge it as far as you can"

If my company gets shut down over this, AND I can use that to claim temporary unemployment? I'm taking the government paid vacation.

I've worked too many 14+ hour days (in the dreaded NYC! Which 90% of drivers won't even go to) for anyone to claim I haven't earned it. (Except my company, which only gives me a few paid days off)

mitmaks Thanks this.
  11. Felix

Felix Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I have the ELD 50 with TND 740 sometimes it works ok but other times it logs wrong. Many times I come home and go off duty for 3-7 days and when I head back OTR and log on it shows that I was driving non stop 24 hrs a day since I logged out. I am an independent driver, also the only driver. Sometimes I’m driving and it says I’m stopped in the highway some of my logs record correctly but doesn’t include mileage when I certify the log. Is this just me? I’ve tried logging online to correct but no luck. I’ve called RM and the answer I got is “oh”. Really? Is this the answer I’m supposed to give DOT in an audit? Or an officer? Yes I have performed updates and gps repairs but it still continues. Does anyone have a solution?

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.