Rand McNally intelliRoute TND 500

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by FrankM, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Chris6074

Chris6074 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Clinton Utah
    Can any one tell me where to buy a new 2amp 12v power supply for my new 720. The one one that came with my GPS is blowing the mini horse shoe fuses every time I plug it in.I will be on the road all day and would like to stop at a truck stop and get a new one if possible. Calls are welcome, 801-391-2876 Chris

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    It is a 2amp 5vdc. You should get one from Rand due to some internal wiring that works with the auto mode for the day/night feature.

If it is blowing the mini-fuse I would suggest you look at the the DC connector in your dash. You may have a short there.

Thanks,
    mark

4. Chris6074

Chris6074 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Clinton Utah
    Thanks Mark,,it is the Rand Mcnally charger. One of the two formed pieces of metal on the side of the plug in that hold the male 12v plug in the 12v truck socket was pushed through the plastic housing and touching the top of the fuse causing a direct short. I bent the metal piece back a little and then took the FCC sticker off the plug in and wrapped it around the top of the glass fuse to prevent another short and it worked great but I still need to replace charger.I have been blowing fuses off and on for a week now, it was hard to figure out when the charger would work fine for a few days but today the short was constant and that helped to me to figure it out.

5. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Best bet would be get one from Rand. PM me your E-Mail address, I have a coupon for 10% off.

Thanks,
    mark

SavageSam Thanks this.
  6. countrycuz

countrycuz Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    columbia sc
    I had to get a new power cord for my Rand mcnally intelliroute because it was not carrying enough current to keep my unit charged up.
    you can use an aftermarket gps charger as long as it has the right mini usb connector. make sure that the current capacity of the charger is at least 1.5 amps.
    I purchased my cord at the pilot ts. for 16.00. dont get one that says 600 milliamps on the back as this will be worthless to you.
    I bought this unit when they dropped the price back in the spring to 299.00 on the 7 inch model.
    I have to say that it has been the best gps I have owned.

7. silenteagle

silenteagle Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ozark, MO
    My 510 won't power on. Anybody help with this? I let the battery die, recharged and now it won't power up.

8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Mark usually tells folks to plug it in to the AC adapter for an extended period, and then try it. Followed by contacting tech support for an RMA if it doesn't do the trick...

9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Correct. Unplug for 12 hours, plug into AC for 3 hours. Press the Reset for 10 seconds while powering on. If it still does not recover contact Rand Support.

Thanks,
    Mark

10. Shin Dig

Shin Dig Bobtail Member

May 28, 2014
    having issues with RM tnd500 way out of warranty as I bought it when they first came out battery is gone but that's ok with me, starts up and hangs on loading screen, TND dock wont update program just fails. I made a backup of the system memory and the SD card , downloaded a different dock program from RM website @ www.randmcnally.com/support/s/dock-software
    included in this dock software is a "device diagnostics and repair" software debugger option. Currently running it hopefully will get me up and going, but if anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears completely draining battery and using reset button has already been tried as-well. thank you for your time.

11. SilverShadow

SilverShadow Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    There's a support forum on this board look for suppport group in the title mark will get you up and running

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.