Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I know what you mean, I go to work in the morning and then in the afternoon do my lawn business. Today I got up to work at 2:15am got out of work at 12:30pm and then spent the rest of the afternoon building a pea gravel patio for a customer, who's lawn I have to do some work to tomorrow, needs a lot of work.

I originally had 1 grass cutting account now I have 5 and I don't just cut the grass I run the edger and weed wack and sweep away debris and stuff. Heck it's almost midnight and I'm still up because I had to get the laundry going.

The only difference is I live alone, but I don't think if I had a family I could work like this.

Banker, road_runner and misterG Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Were kind of sort of starting to gain a little bit of tonnage back, but it's touch and go. We were closed on Wednesdays for almost all summer. Lot of low pay checks.

misterG and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, common sense and a basic knowledge of physics will definitely serve one well in the flatbed world.

road_runner, LtlAnonymous and misterG Thank this.
  5. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Common sense has no place in modern trucking. Lol

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    With the new breed I can see where one would think that.

misterG, Mike2633 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Part of me wants to be bitter about you unfriending me on FB. Ok, I am bitter which is why I am calling you out.

But you bring out an important subject.

Come March 2020, the world basically ended. Us drivers did good, the ones that got shafted initially were food service. Schools and restaurants where locked down, hell; even the prisons let people out: thus reducing demand for food.

Blah blah blah.. fast forward May or June when things picked back up. All of a sudden we are all busy again.

So here is the reality of the lockdown. Best case scenario, you had enough seniority and ran this entire year. Less favourable was a reduction in hours. Then of course comes the bad case scenario where you have kids and most likely mom had to leave to workforce to take care of the kids since the schools shut down.

So yeah, some of those guys running 70+ hours a week might be financially incomplete... Or they are working the hours that their spouses can no longer work.

8. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    We saw a major slow down and actually went to a 4 day work week. Considering 2/3 of our biz is restaurant and schools.

If you were a company heavy into pizza shops which we are not, not really not by comparison to others, then you would have still seen some action, but the system did go down.

We’re back to 5 days now have been for a while, but tonnage is still a little down. However I have noticed it’s starting to creep up a little bit, but still not where it was.

LtlAnonymous and misterG Thank this.
  9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    We are all hands on deck at the moment. There was no summer slow-down for us.

Mike2633 and misterG Thank this.
  10. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Same here.
    We lost work with one of our other divisions and have been able to move a couple of those people over to our LTL side. Which is GREAT for them.
    We have increased work from one of our partner carriers who decided to move their terminal and lost a couple driver to retirement and other reasons. So they gave us one of their outlying territories that we already cover for our own customers. It was a big win for everyone all around.

We didn't have much slow down this year at all. We did lose a couple areas that we HAD been covering for another partner carrier. Who took that work back, but it didn't cause any slow down for us freight wise.

Keep in mind that we are EXTREMELY small. We only run about 18 trucks dayside and about 9 night time auto parts guys. So, the vast majority of our freight is partner work.

Mike2633 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  11. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Yeah, it has been a wild year for sure.

I also work for a small company. I think our current number of employees is around 528,000. Lol

jmz, McUzi, Mike2633 and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.