Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    I’ve always wanted to do fuel. But I like my mon-fri 930am-630ish p&d job. Don’t think I would find that in fuel. I would do Sunday night thru Thursday night tho. I always liked 3rds

Jay5GS, Cardfan89 and road_runner Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Fuel is open 24/7. JR guy gets crappy shifts. Nights, weekends, and holidays. They got to keep the fuel pumps stocked even on Christmas. No more 3 or 4 day weekends like LTL. One reason I came back to LTL. Foodservice is kinda like fuel. Can only mostly do it at night and holidays most places are open or need to be stocked for the day after. Fuel doesn’t look fun during the day either.

misterG, McUzi, Cardfan89 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I can only imagine how some of those tiny gas stations are to try and get a gas tanker in and out of in the middle of the day.

Cardfan89, road_runner and Radman Thank this.
  5. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    I was getting gas at our tiny gas station the other day when the tank was getting filled. The trailer actually had backup lights and strobes and he had to back out of the station.

Radman Thanks this.
  6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    That's the other thing about fuel. My company pulls 48 or 53 ft trailers. We do have smaller liftgate pups. A lot of returns will say "needs to be on a pup" for return reason. With fuel, you don't even have that option. Everyone else can get a full size trailer in there. The problem isn't the stop, the problem is the driver if he can't get in there.

I see the same issue with food service. Like how the hell do they even get in there? Especially now with some places that have their dining rooms shut down and do drive-thru only.

I had a delivery to a Chick-fil-A few weeks ago. Small under the counter fridge that needed to be liftgated and brought inside the store. The store adjusted to what's going on by creating a two lane drive-thru setup, there is no way in hell you are getting in there with a pup. The fridge was already returned twice so I said #### it. I parked in the median, cut the banding, and handcarted the fridge in. No idea how McLane (or whoever they use now) get their trucks in there.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  7. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    thank you for the response , im down for fuel and working weekends and holidays as for the danger, it doesn't faze me lol. but right now all the fuel carriers are hiring. but so is UPS freight in commerce.

McUzi Thanks this.
  8. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    The high volume restaurants like chick-fil-a get deliveries overnight when no ones there. I guess the really tight parking lots would require backing in from the street, which still isn’t a problem at night.

Brettj3876 and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  9. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Hands down LTL over fuel. I did fuel for almost 5 years. You WILL do crappy shifts and work night and weekends. Getting into stations can be very tricky. I never had any major problems but backing in from the street can be a challenge. Most people aren’t very forgiving and surprisingly take a lot of risks trying to beat the fuel tanker out of the station. It’s pathetic.

I do ltl now but on the cryo side not freight. I pull around a pup with skids of welding wire and other welding supplies along with lots of cylinders. I work m-f 630/7 until I’m done, usually 430. I’m home every night and get all of the holidays off. IMO P&D is the way to go over fuel hauling. The cost of insurance premiums is much lower (although I’m in the union). Your overall quality of life is better. It definitely has been for me.

10. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    another day in LTL, yard hostler rips my mirror clean off the hinge with a container on flat bed chassis.....so the fork lift driver who was loading me disappeared and 25 seconds later hes the one in hostler crashing HAHAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAH IMG_20201006_173216_2.jpg

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    well curbs are merely a suggestion in food service.

But chik-fil-a. well that's what electric pallet jacks are for. you park wayyyyyyyyyy over there and run the pallets across the parking lot (always fun in the snow)

misterG, MACK E-6 and McUzi Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.