Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Ltls will pay lumper fees if required. LTL isn’t structured to have anything come out of the employees pocket barring a very unforeseen and unusual circumstance (one time when I was given a loaner truck after putting my truck OOS, I neglected to look for an EzPass transponder in the truck and coming East bound on the Beacon bridge I had to pay cash to the toll attendant because they wouldn’t let me cross otherwise.)

If you have a consignee that has the dreaded “sort and segregate” accessorial on the delivery receipt, you’re breaking that freight. S&S is typical for grocery depots

Jay5GS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    so at my company most of the time the paper work says sort and seg , but will the mega carrier still cover lumper or you have to do it... cause i told my carrier i dont work in the wh and they want you to sort it to their liking and i dont agree with that. how does that work

4. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Expecting anywhere from 6 to 9 inches of snow in Chicago tomorrow. Stay safe guys

road_runner and Jay5GS Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Beauty supply stores are just as bad. Typically those skids have to be broke down and hand trucked inside.

650cat425 and snowbird_89 Thank this.
  6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Hey guys.. not trying to lecture anyone. Just a friendly reminder. Handheld phones are an absolute no go. I understand many of us run dedicated routes and are constantly on our phones lining up customers three stops ahead. But one of my coworkers was at the wrong place at the wrong time and got his pee-pee smacked really hard.

$2,000 fine for being on a phone with a customer. Officer boaated that he was giving him a break cause the federal fine is usually $2,750.

Again, not lecturing or talking down. Just be advised that DoT plays hardball.

7. Clarimeister

Clarimeister Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Yeah, don't eff around with the phones. Speeding is one thing, we all make mistakes, but phones... it's not really a mistake anymore. Or was it ever? Get a bluetooth, whatever you need to do!

alds Thanks this.
  8. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Speaking of fines.. who has crossed railroad tracks with hazmat without stopping? Do y'all pull to the side or stay on the road? One rr crossing I have to stop at has a turn lane and I don't want to block it and I don't wanna stop in the road either. Where should I stop?

misterG Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I have one out in the middle of nowhere that’s next to an intersection and easy to forget about if you’re driving along daydreaming. I use the turn lane to cross it if I’m placarded.

10. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I've blown through several crossings with placarded hazmat. It's only an issue if DoT happens to sit nearby. Most law enforcement either doesn't know or is too busy to care to pull us over.

I've had tracks straight across the street proceeding an intersection, then one immediately after making a right turn. I always stay in the appropriate lane and never stop inside of an intersection or in the middle of a turn. Usually complete stop, four ways, then execute my maneuver. Should be enough to show that I tried at least. It gets all kinds of weird when you have multiple sets of track 100 feet apart.

misterG, MACK E-6 and 650cat425 Thank this.
  11. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i stop in the travel lane i'm supposed to be in, wherever that is. throw the 4 ways on before you get there and gradually slow to a stop.

they'll get over it.

alds Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.