Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Go ye and do likewise.

road_runner Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I ran to Texas every week as a bid, but never saw a big truck do a u turn on the Interstate in Texas.

4. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    So far, the only semi I’ve seen flip a ##### on the interstate was an Amazon driver.

5. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I love my country bumpkin route. And we have favoritism/ lazy drivers too and it only adds 1 or 2 pickups on me but I like to keep moving anyway so it's whatever.

6. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    So I believe I'm an expert on delivering car lifts now lol. This last one I just delivered was the heaviest one yet. On the bill it said NO LIFTGATE but they're long and skinny- you would have to have a forklift capable (rated for the weight) to lift it off. About 90% of the time it's a "country bumkin" with a tractor and when you try to lift the full weight the rear tractor wheels lift off the ground (and this was a good sized tractor). So we slide it to the rear, I pull out the lift gate, slide it some more onto the lift gate then lower it down. The only reason I'm ok with it is bc the tractor has 1/2 the weight and the lift gate the other. Gotta love the ltl life!

misterG, The Shadow and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  7. The Shadow

The Shadow Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    NC
    So
    Sounds exactly like how they delivered my car lift. With my motorcycle lift, I got it delivered to our shop and brought my pickup and trailer to work that day.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  8. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Today I would like to share an occurrence that went down today at a customer.

I had a delivery to a food warehouse to which I havent deliver before. As I backed up the trailer from a distance I saw the customer who I approached and this is how the conversation went.

Customer: what you got?

Driver: two skids.

Customer: you may unload the skids as we are busy right now.

Driver: I can see you have a forklift and I can place the skids close to the edge of the trailer.

Customer: if you want us to utilize our forklift there's a fee that you must pay to get unloaded that's why I'm suggesting you use your liftgate.

Driver: well if you want me to use the lift gate a charge will apply therefore is best to get your freight with your forklift.

Customer: no you must call your company or broker as I will not instruct my forklift driver to unload anything without paying first.

At that point since we weren't getting anywhere I politely told her to either unload the freight or refuse it. She then proceeds to ask for me to open the door and once she saw the merchandise her whole attitude changed and asked me to put them close to the edge for the forklift to get them.

I'm a bit confused as to why she wanted to charge money since she never said anything about lumpers.

Has this ever happened to anyone.

road_runner and misterG Thank this.
  9. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    At first I was like WTF, but then you said “she” and I was like ohhh.

TexasKGB, misterG and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    So the last couple of weeks, we've switched routes around due to various guys taking time off. "Doug," who's a stand-up guy but a smartarse, has been giving me a hard time about having to do my route and he always gets the hard stuff and it's always easier when I do it. (We both know he's just talking smack.)

Last week, before I got my route back, he delivered a 350# blower unit to a car wash of a certain brand that's growing all over AZ like a weed. I got a pickup there today and figured it was a return unit.

Nope.

A 1600# turbine. With nothing but a manual jack and liftgate. Wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but I got it done and now I get to give him a hard time on Tuesday. :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  11. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Was this non-inventory freight? Usually warehouses and stores will accept non inventory freight long after their receiving closes.

Usually if I have an issue, I ask the employee for their full name so that the corresponding department manager that ordered the item knows who refused it. "This is not to be sold at your store, this is part of your daily operation of your store. Someone ordered it and is looking for this specific item."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.