Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    In Des Moines picking up a set from Dallas, by way of KC. Hub oil all over the wheel on rear pup. KC driver long gone. Thanks. it's 1am but Des Moines shop is open. Sweet!

"We don't fix AAA Cooper equipment. Call AAA Cooper."

I call AAA Cooper breakdown line.

"Have the Des Moines shop fix it."

"Maybe you two oughtts talk to each other."

Pass phone to Des Moines mechanic.

Talking talking talking something something unicorn something something maybe it will fix itself.

"We're gonna unload your pup and send you out with a different pup."

(Walks over to dock to tell head dock guy the plan.)

"I don't have a spare pup."

More phone calls, temperatures rising, steam is starting to leak out of everyone's ears like loony tunes.

"I guess we're gonna unload this pup here, dump your crap into it and send you with that one."

Come to find out daytime mechanic chief in Des Moines has been having a pissing match with AAA Cooper about fixing their shoddy equipment. He won't do it, and he won't let his night time guy do it. I don't blame him. So many of their pups have *something* wrong it seems like they're dumping their junk on us. Are they? Or is it all just.... crap? On top of that the usual drivers not noticing obvious stuff. Management powerless or unwilling to get a handle on the situation. Total system failure.

Mike2633, JoeyJunk, misterG and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    The MME guys in my area are pulling Swift trailers all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if their shop is having the same frustrations with that equipment.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Well. I am in-between a rock and a hard place. Yellow cratered last month and along with it my employment at USF Holland

I got kicked in the bullocks all month long. Turned down from one employer to another. Six of seven times at least.

I have two job offers. One is working a concrete truck doing local driving work. The other is pulling a lever and pushing a button on a factory floor and a brand new tire comes out. They both pay equally but I get more hours driving. Plus I get to drive again.

Now the factory has a top of a line dining facility. But they told us the access would be limited depending on where we were positioned pulling levers and pushing buttons. It's a large plant. The major downside is that this is not driving and even after years of doing it I would toss my CDL away and I would have zero "recent" driving experience that most employers want. One thing worth mentioning is that as of April, I've officially been driving longer than I have not.

I have about two hours to make a decision. They both want me and are expecting me to start immediately.

Thoughts?

JoeyJunk, misterG, dwells40 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    I would take the concrete mixer job, you’ll get tired of that factory job really fast plus you’re utilizing the cdl. Personally I would get bored at a factory job, I’ve had a couple production jobs and also I was an order picker in a warehouse once. So boring I must say.

The concrete job still gives you the whole recent experience which will be a leg up to the next opportunity.

Mike2633, JoeyJunk, misterG and 5 others Thank this.
  6. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    On a side note I’ve been either turned down or flat out ghosted on getting a freight job, for now I’m doing food service, not the most ideal. Heck it’s more work than I want to be doing but they offered me a job plus day one insurance so I took it. I’ve also taken this Yellow closure harder than I thought I would. I know life goes on but it’s not the same obviously.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    JoeyJunk, misterG, Speed_Drums and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Personally, I couldn't work in a factory.

8. buckmanmike

buckmanmike Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2010
    in the country, georgia
    Just decide what's the best for you and your family and do it. Nobody here are in your shoes. Life throws you curve balls sometimes. Tough to hit them until you swing at them enough. Then you can knock em out of park. Go for it, if wrong decision, change course.
    Wish you the best.

JoeyJunk and misterG Thank this.
  9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Yeah. But when life doesn't give you sugar and water, your lemonade is going to suck.

Not trying to mock or disparage you. It's just difficult to make a decision

10. Holo989

Holo989 Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Marietta, GA
    Most driving jobs want X amount of experience within the last 3 years. Some may vary but that's what I have seen.

The concrete job gets you moving but are there slow times where you might not work?

The factory job sounds mind numbing but everyone needs tires so there may not be a slow time.

My advice driver is pick the job where you won't wake up hating life. I've been reading your posts for about 7 years now and you always seem to land on your feet. Keep your chin up it will get better.

11. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    This doesn't have to do with anything.

I have this dog called Blondie. Black lab mix. Best way to describe her is that you take a propane cylinder and add legs to it and a head and neck that is too thick to strangle. Her nick name is "snort snort". Cause all she does is snore.

So I am upstairs, laying next to my wife and start pocking my wife on the shoulder. She wakes up annoyed and says "not sure what you are trying to accomplish. But Sebastian is going to school in five hours. I intend to sleep before he wakes up".

You are snoring louder than Blondie.

"Excuse the #### out of me? Explain yourself immediately. This is not acceptable".

So I tried to come up with a thoughtful response.

"So listen here beautiful. All 5 feet and 4 inches of yourself. Between here (Columbia) and Sumter is a town called Eastover that has a massive paper mill called International Papers. I deliver to it once every two or three weeks (by the way. whoever designed their dock needs to have their professional credentials removed). So anyway, this is the only place so noisy that I put on my ear protection. All I am saying is your snoring is competitive with the plant."

The next thing I know is she literally pulled the pillow from underneath my head and was capable of striking me with it four or five times.

"Get out. Get the #### out! Find alternative sleeping arrangements. And take your dog with you".

So anyway. Now I am back on the couch and me and Blondie are trying to decide what programming to watch on Netflix. To be honest, I can't wait to work again. I start next Tuesday.

Here is something I want to point out. It's bad enough losing your position of employment. Now I am displaced out of my own bedroom. Maybe I deserve the later. But still. How much do I have to tolerate? This is unbelievable.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.