Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Debating on telling my boss that I applied elsewhere. I have not gotten called back yet for an interview. Take it this is something I should keep under my hat? Or should I disclose this with hopes that I can use this as leverage to get them to transfer me faster to P&D? I already know FxF pays better. Both FxF and my current carrier are in dire need for drivers. Not gonna ask for a pay raise, but I have to switch to day shift regardless.

Any thoughts?

Shaggy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I would wait to here from FXF. If you tell him you applied for another job he could just tell you to go home

Big Don, Marksteven and Shaggy Thank this.
  4. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    They can't let me go cause they do not have anyone to replace me with. We have had nobody that applied to our terminal in over a year. With that said, I will take your advice and hold my cards a bit closer to the chest. Thanks mate!

Big Don Thanks this.
  5. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    That don't mean nothing at all. They can be like well if he's quitting just let him go. If I told my boss I'm looking for another job he would find ways to get rid of me, but would fail with the dirty U in our place

Shaggy Thanks this.
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    2nd time in a week this has happened.

New restaurant opening (I do food delivery, close enough to LTL and i need to rant) and it's very important they get their first load on time. (and it's easy, we get paid by the piece and there are lots of pieces but not much weight and there is just the one delivery). First time out last tuesday get out to the restaurant and the manager comes out and says "no, I was just supposed to call by 10am not take delivery, we haven't even had the health inspector here" Take load back in. Unbelievably sad how this happens, but whatever, stuff happens and it was a local restaurant, less than 100 miles on the truck (although I got paid squat for it).

today, supposed to drive out 700 miles to a new restaurant. (but again, light, pays awesome, etc). Get 200 miles in and the phone rings. answer phone. "turn around, they won't be ready until thursday" so yes, drove 420 miles today and never even opened the trailer or parked or anything.

WTF????????? shouldn't someone be checking this ##### BEFORE we load the trailer and build the schedules?

twice
    in a week
    I can't be the only one this is happening too.
    and they wonder why we aren't hitting our numbers

ridiculous.

7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Now that is a rant! Welcome aboard! You will fit right in with the rest of us!

Shaggy Thanks this.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    I would keep it too myself / off the bosses/other drivers radar, Also keep it off spacebook ( desk jockeys have enough free time to wonder around social media for a few minutes ) Not sure how locked your crap is, but doesn't matter. Keep it off social networks. Ask that fella markstevens through PM/IM. he has more experience then ACH you and I put together lol.

I would chill for a few weeks and send massive amounts of resumes out and see which ones bite.. Remained employed with your company and suck it up until 100% sure have new employer.

Collecting Unemployement these days is not what is was a few years ago. tons of hoops to jump through to collect max pay or so i've heard.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Marksteven Thanks this.
  9. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Hey Roadrunner, I'm telling!!! LOL J/K. Good luck with FedEx. At least you know if FedEx doesn't work out Reddaway will take you back no problem. Sadly Reddaway has become one of the sorrier ltl companies to work for these days. I'm looking for an exit after the holidays myself.

road_runner and Shaggy Thank this.
  10. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Wow! Everyone's jumping ship! Lol! Well in a small job market where your at I'd keep it to yourself. I think your in a small area?. In my area we can't find anyone for city or Linehaul. If we do they are students, barely got exp, or got canned somewhere. So they can find out but can't really do anything cause of how busy it is. I'm almost to top out, so I'm gonna ride this wave out for a little bit. Just don't feel like starting at the bottom again. LTL is getting too regulated by its own companies. If I'm bouncing it will be to run tankers or water hauler for the oil fields. It's booming over here, you can drive down the interstate and see 5-6 oil rigs, some right off the interstate.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  11. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I'm looking to jump ship as well, but out of trucking altogether. I got an interview today. Talked to a few guys from here and they both agree I'm stupid if I don't take the offer

Shaggy and Marksteven Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.