Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Dude... My first stop was 110 miles away from the barn. Then the remaining stops came off in 5 to 45 mile intervals. It's only a handful of items going to each stop. 35 mile trip to drop of a single roll of vinyl flooring.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Ooooooooohhhhh.... Believe me. I am very much conscious and aware of where I now rank on the commercial driver totem poll. Believe me when I say that.

Not only am I now a Class B driver, I also got stuck with an automatic. The lack of clutch serves as a constant reminder that the only ones left for me to sneer my nose at are old retired people that drive a school bus to supplement their golf habbits. It is beyond humbling to say the least to be in the same catagory as roll-on dumpster boy @Shaggy .

Not even DOT takes me serious. I've already passed one weigh station and they flashed the "bypass this scale" sign. And the one scale I did cross I was waved away by the officer inside. I could see the anger in his eyes "get your oversized POS UHaul off my scale so I can weigh real trucks".

Even one small gas station asked me to park with the campers and boats so I don't use up their limited commercial vehicle space.

Yeah... What a switch. Am I still cool to post here now that I am no longer a real trucker?

Asking for a friend

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I delivered flooring for 5 years in a straight truck back in the early 90's. I was young, dumb...and you know the rest :D. I had no interest in going OTR, so I landed a local flooring job that paid pretty decent for back then. Made around $50k, which wasn't bad back then. It's sad that todays driver pay hasn't really gone up, even for some Class A jobs.

Anyways, I gained a lot of experience delivering flooring. The work was no different from LTL P&D. Had about 15-20 stops per day. Used a pallet jack and lift gate for about 90% of my deliveries. Had to deliver to flooring showrooms, residentials and construction site as well. And on the rare occasions that I did bump a dock, even then I still had to use the pallet jack to offload :mad:. Forklift unloads was rare. Carpet deliveries we're always unloaded by forklifts with pole attachments. Wood flooring was the worst. Too wide and too heavy for the tuck under liftgate to handle. I had to hand unload those at times. But other than that, a piece of cake job.

There's no shame in the game when it comes to supporting your family. It's their opinion that mattters the most. Class A or Class B...doesn't really matter :cool:

MACK E-6 and misterG Thank this.
  5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    I see what you did there. ;)

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Straight truckers work harder than the trailer guys in some ways.

7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Right now i am learning how to back the stupid thing.

The "box truck" (not trailer) turns hard left so I turn my wheel hard left to make everything go right and I go harder left.

Four pullups on a alley dock back with a straight truck

LoneCowboy, MACK E-6 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  8. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    How I spent my day:

20180614_163212.jpg

20180614_163431.jpg

3 1/2 hours to go 30 miles.

misterG, G13Tomcat and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Don’t feel bad. Every time I get in a straight truck I always turn the steering wheel the wrong way.

10. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Me too!

MACK E-6 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    i can't back up a straight truck worth #### either.

Sometimes, you're doing a ton of backing for days on end. Then come back to the yard and unhook. And go back the bobtail in.
    20 minutes later you're still trying to back the bobtail in

why won't this thing turn the right way?

MACK E-6 and road_runner Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.