Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    He might have been on his phone. Rearward amplification with doubles can give out quite a swing, even if you only make minor sudden corrections.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    any yard holster drivers need a job in the ONTERIO CA area let me know

4. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Twice this week I've had disagreements with a dispatcher about hazmat paperwork. Everything is present and correct info-wise, but sometimes in the corner the page count will say 1of2 and there won't be a second page. Dispatcher says it's no big deal. I say that anyone doing an inspection doesn't care if the second page is a blank. If it says there are 2 pages, they want to see both pages, period.

Might sound a little nitpicky, but one of the scales I cross has a hard on for LTL trucks. They haven't inspected me yet, but I triple check everything anyway.

misterG, McUzi, speedyk and 2 others Thank this.
  5. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It wasn't Hazmat, but I got into a small safety scuffle with dispatch. It was two tractor lights being out. The guy told me I was cleared to roll and needed to do so right away.

Two hours down the road, the first weigh station flagged me for the same issue I brought up during my pretrip. I called up dispatch, and not only did my initial phone call addressing my concern never happen with him, he insisted that he would never have dispatched me unless my truck passed a mandatory pretip.

MACK E-6, misterG and Naptown Thank this.
  6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    We're paid to be nitpicky, I'd want that second page as well.

I don't leave without lights. It's 98% of my impression out there at night. Good lights and they look for someone else.

LoneCowboy and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Didn't you just start a new job? This doesn't bode well if this happened right out of the gate.

road_runner Thanks this.
  8. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Oh no, this happened about 6 years ago with another company. I was a rookie that didn't know any better.

9. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    This is why I TRY to ALWAYS Text message these types of things. Then there is WRITTEN proof of the convo.

10. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Yeah well, that is one of those life lessons that I learned the hard way. I was also switching over from being in the military where things had to get done and everyone pitches in and works together to get it done.

Looking back, I think I was way too generous in pitching in. My old company got a ton of stuff done for free and it wasn't until down the road where a senior coworker (a fellow linedriver) pulled me over to have a "talk"with me. It went along the lines that I am being taken advantage of and it was creating unnecessary pressure on everyone else to donate their time since I was doing so much of it. I was basically asked to start charging dock time for anything I was told to do.

There are a ton of things I would have done different had I been able to start over.

MACK E-6, The Shadow and misterG Thank this.
  11. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Don't be fooled.
    I learned that lesson myself the hard way too. And as I get older, I don't remember everything that I try to always do, either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.