Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    ABF would likely have similar bennies but will have DFC's soon. UPS will be hiring temps soon and might lead to a chance to get into parcel trucks, since they have Amazon they'd be a good bet.

DOT Foods is dock to dock only and mostly pallets like P&D, they have home every night work in some markets. Or Martin Brower is food service on wheels.

With your work history maybe look at fuel tanker. It's obvious from your posts that you're skilled and careful.

Economy is getting closer to another recession, Fuel, US Mail contractors and food likely won't suffer as much, depending on what happens. LTL's will empty out and lay people off.

misterG, Cardfan89, Mike2633 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Over on that other trucking board, there was sarcasm over how long it took YRC to figure out that they had two terminals in a lot of places instead of one. I doubt any customers are going to go look where their Reddaway truck goes when it goes home, so if it goes to a YRC dock few will care.

Since you're in, check out the local YRC terminal and think about which one they will keep if they close one. I think they will learn (not much tho) from the New Penn experiment and realise that they can close the YRC barn in a given area and keep the regional one if it's in worse shape or would bring more from a sale and not hurt their freight flow (cough).

Mike2633, road_runner and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Southeastern partners with Dayton Freight and from what I understand they are a decent place to work that pays well. As far as Averitt is concerned, I have heard that they aren't on par with any of the other LTL companies because they don't do the exact same thing. I don't know if that is only true for the mileage rate or if the hourly guys are also similarly underpaid compared to most LTL P&D drivers.

I'm pretty sure SEFL would be a step up from Holland, but I think Averitt may be more of a sideways move, at least in terms of pay. Averitt definitely has better equipment, but I didn't think that was a very big consideration for you. I may be wrong on that though.

5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    This was a real fancy private country club probably the most professional place I think I go to period. Very clean they chefs are real chefs who actually have gone to real culinary school, now that's not to say there isn't riff raff, the country club my mom worked at part time from 1997-2002 would bus in help from the county work house jail.

It is a little tight there, though and they were having a member member tournament. The corner there though was a little harder then usual there was a black Buick right on the edge of the corner and I have been able to back down there in one shot, however yesterday was not that day and it did take me a pull up to get it right, I was trying to be careful, because it was tighter then usual.

It's just funny in real life the orange cone is replaced by a Porsche or Lexus it's true!

6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement. I am not into full panic just yet but I am a bit concerned. I am closely eyeballing SEFL for sure. They seem to have their crap together the best.

jmz, FlaSwampRat, Bob Dobalina and 2 others Thank this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    One crappy thing about working nights is I have Friday and Saturday off so I'm up tonight after the wife and daughter are in bed and have to get some sleep tomorrow during the day so I am good to go tomorrow night. Love my job so I'm not #####ing too hard but if I had to pick a downside this would be it.

road_runner, Cardfan89 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Take your time and look at all of the potential jobs, not just the ones that are currently hiring. When I started to consider leaving US Foods, I looked at lot of different places and also considered their distance from my house. I decided that FXF ticked all the boxes, so I put my head down and kept working until they posted the job I wanted.

Don’t try and settle for less, because you could end up in the same position after a few months at the next job, and then potential employers will start questioning why you change jobs so often.

9. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Our night shift runs the same Sunday through Thursday shift and as a person who’s temporarily been there and done that, the weekend is a bit of an awkward time. I couldn’t agree more. It’s not such a big deal on the weekdays, and I didn’t really mind it I actually liked it better then I thought, but I agree the weekends are a bit strange.

My favorite part though is heading home Monday morning and watching all the cars driving to work and clocking in!

10. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It's a bit of a raw deal. In terms of LTL, it's a good gig. I am not ballin or anything, but I get paid fairly. I work 50 hours a week and take home about $850 a week after taxes and dues. It's fair and I work under reasonable conditions and expectations. I really am just looking for a forever home and worried that Holland will not exist ten or fifteen years from now.

I am 36, so I consider myself at a "prime" age to get on board with anyone. I got plenty of experience and I am still young enough to give people the impression that I am here for the long haul and will stay in the workforce for a while.

I am genuinely worried about having to start over 15 years from now if the regionals under YRC collapse or get sold off. 50 seems to be the age where people do another ten or so as they wind down to get ready to retire. I am not sure if I will be as marketable at that age than I am now when I have to compete against a younger age group.

Nothing against any of you guys in the older age groups than me. Just a scary thought to start over completely cause my company may not exist anymore.

11. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    @road_runner I definitely get it, I’m just saying don’t rush into something else unless you think there is an imminent risk to your job. Find a place you think can be your forever home, and if they aren’t hiring right now, wait it out until they are. Don’t just pick the best of whatever companies are currently hiring today.

road_runner, Mike2633 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.