Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Here in Cleveland were having an easy peasy winter I bought a new snowblower this year that's why so far haven't taken the cover off of the snowblower. It was 65 today at one point in time, it's cooled down since then and had rain all day and high winds, but very little snow.

double_r and Radman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I got a rant. This one is on a positive note.

I got this coworker. He wears dress shoes, pants, and a button up shirt. He makes it a point to say hello to every single person that walks into the door and ask them about their day and family. Very soft spoken and humble, but also chatty and enthusiastic.

When I first started, I thought he was on the corporate board shaking hands. But no, he was just a plain old driver.

What stuck out about him was he was always on his phone. The conversations I overheard was him moving large amount of money between stocks. I mean tens of thousands in dollars on a single trade. Later on he revealed he owned several houses. One of them had it's own landing strip for his two twin engine planes and he was talking about rewiring the approach lights on his day off.

I think his license plate reads JOECASH or something to that effect. One of my coworkers called him out one day, and his response was this "when I was a kid I always aspired to be a truck driver and I feel like this job gives me a purpose".

It is humbling to work with people like that. He has no motivation to be in the trenches other than his desired place in society.

Mike2633, Radman, misterG and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    I am SO tempted to call BS, but I actually believe you.

Mike2633 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  5. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I totally feel your skepticism and if I was in your position, I would totally agree with you. But this isn't even the most unbelievable part of the story. He is about 1/3 up the seniority list. He got tagged with the crappiest run that he could EASILY passed on to me. When he found out what he was doing, he responded in his mild manner "oh dear, is that right? I better quit yapping your ears off so I can get my pretrip done so I can get out of here".

I got witnesses on this one.

6. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Sat at a scale for a couple hours waiting for a twin screw. 1600 over on drives, surprised I just got a warning.

Mike2633, McUzi and jmz Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I can believe it.

If I’d won the lottery I couldn’t give up trucking. I’d get bored. :confused:

I could definitely give up the LTL business though. If that happened I’d buy myself a flatbed and a nice old Pete and go back to hauling nice and easy sticks and bricks.

road_runner, Mike2633, Radman and 6 others Thank this.
  8. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    DITTO.
    I'd keep doing what I am now. With my dedicated customer.

But would probably drop the other two days a week.

Mike2633, MACK E-6 and dwells40 Thank this.
  9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I believe it. I have a ex coworker who worked at Reddaway during the days before the give backs. Think he was with the company for close to 20 years. Well he dressed pretty hoboish at work and drove beaters to work. But when I’d see him at the yearly drivers meeting we’d have at a restaurant or hotel restaurant with a lobby he was dressed in nice new clothes. Nicest guy you can meet. Couple drivers said he owns acouple properties and a apartment complex. In Denver you can own the most ghetto complex and they go for around a million dollars here now. Property here was pretty cheap 10-15 years ago. He’s left since and now is a UPS feeder driver.

10. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    @FlaSwampRat
    Are you driving a package car in the snow in Florida?

FlaSwampRat and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  11. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    This guy I work with isn’t too bright. I’m hooking my rear right in front of his tractor. Those are allllll empties. Why???

CAC31790-FD04-4FD1-AAD7-D99AA772E6B0.jpeg

Mike2633 and jmz Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.