Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t last there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It's so ridiculous that it's almost funny. They wrecker at least two trucks in each day. As a matter of fact, one of my coworkers got wreckered in and told me that he broke down twice. They thru took his old truck and brought him a new truck that broke down 5 miles later down the road.

speedyk, Mike2633 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I like when they bring you one with 3 flat tires and no fuel. :rolleyes:

misterG, Cardfan89 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Does the equipment still have ghost markings that says TNT Holland on it.

Cardfan89 Thanks this.
  6. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    We’re they all being serious? My has Holland devolved from the TNT days of the 80s and 1990s.

speedyk Thanks this.
  7. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    They want to send you out in a truck that would be put out of service, and you have to pass two scales. Then talk down to you when you object. Start looking for other opportunities ASAP.

I am a mellow person but I won't tolerate disrespectful behavior. I try to respectfully call it out when it happens. I've learned this is necessary the hard way.
    If you allow anyone to mistreat you they start feeling it's ok. Then they cross a line or catch you on the wrong day and the #### hits the fan. Better to nip it in the bud first thing.

speedyk, misterG, MACK E-6 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Um...I thought union jobs were supposed to NOT let the company bend you over?? 'Cause I've never seen that sort of blatant bullcrap at my outfit--sounds more like some bottom feeder OTR gig.

9. Clarimeister

Clarimeister Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2017
    That was incredible. My goodness....

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I am not making this up. I'm not embellishing things. Hell, I am not even exaggerating things a bit. They seemed serious but I also knew they couldn't force me on the road or punish me for refusing, so I held my ground.

You ever heard of Deja-Moo? It's the feeling you've dealt this with bullcrap before?

Well that's what was going on yesterday. Something similar happened last Fall/Winter. They gave me a truck and said that it had an open write-up and that a mechanic was on the way to clear it. The truck was written up two times already for a coolant leak, and each time it was cleared.

I got to my truck and sure enough there is a massive puddle underneath it. I pop the hood and to no surprise, coolant reservoir is almost completely empty. Mechanic shows up.

"Oh hey, I heard this truck was overheating. Huh, look at that. There is your problem right there. It doesn't have any fluids in it"

- hey man, it has a leak (he completely ignores me of course).

"It's always the same with you drivers. Always griping and complaining about defective equipment, then it's usually something as simple as you guys not doing a proper pretrip"

He is pouring in a massive jug of coolant, as the tank fills up, you can clearly see the coolant dripping back out from the bottom.

-. Dude, like seriously, look at it dripping out from the bottom.

He then gives me this passive aggressive response. I forgot the exact wording but the context was for me to stay in my lane. He then signs off that the repairs are made and tosses my DVIR over the driver's seat on to the passenger seat before he just leaves.

I tried to explain things to my supervisor, but they just give me the two thumbs up since my DVIR shows I am good to go. Welp, if this is how it's gonna be, I am gonna go ahead and let them have it. I check to make sure I have triangles. I already know how this day will end.

I head out and two hours into my drive down, the inevitable happens. *Beeeeeep-beeeeeeep-beeeeeeeeep*. Every fault light turns on as the truck loses power and I coast to the shoulder of the road. I set the brakes, grab and set up my triangles outside and pop the hood. Of course the coolant tank is empty. Call up dispatch to explain the situation. First question he asked "did you top off your fluids before you left?"

- yup

"Hmmmm... I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like you have a coolant leak".

- yup, it was written up three times for the same issue, and each time the mechanic just topped off the tank.

It took them three hours to send me a wrecker. The funny thing was, even when I was broke down, I still got three out of seven stops done. I had a short liftgate and was supposed to peddle a residential route. Three of the customers ended up meeting me on the side of the road and I just helped them load up their bumpers and furniture right there where my triangles sat.

Anyway, for those still reading, I am telling this story to give more context to yesterday. When I broke down last year, it was nice and cool out. Plus I was near a gas station where I could get some heat lamp cuisine. Yesterday was well within the 90s and it would have been miserable to be broken down, waiting to get towed.

nmill, speedyk, misterG and 2 others Thank this.
  11. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Run from this company. Don't drive, ya might not make it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.