Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Looks like YRC got a handout from the government under the CARES act. I wouldn’t be happy to see any driver lose their job but this is a bunch of bovine excrement that a company of that size with such a documented history of piss poor financial management is being floated by the taxpayers now.

Unfortunately this is just a bandaid I think.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I just about fell over laughing when I read that in one of the articles.

4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Yup. And the first thing those muppets at corporate are going to do is pat each other on the back and give themselves a hefty bonus for twisting enough arms and saving the parent and the subsidiaries. And supposedly this is just a loan but we will see.

And no, I shouldn't complain cause I work for one of the subsidiaries and have a job to come back to. But deep down inside I hope someone more competent will buy us out.

5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Bonuses are not allowed with it.

road_runner Thanks this.
  6. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Thanks for clarifying that. However, I wouldn't put it past them to use this incident to justify a bonus out of future profits.

misterG, Cardfan89 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It's technically accurate. At least for my company that falls under the YRC umbrella. We haul a bunch of parts and components to the big companies like Boeing. A bunch of our military hardware and vehicles depend on a flow of replacement parts from these companies. So yeah, we are technically a critical piece in the military supply network.

The counterargument to that though is that if we fold, someone else will pick up those accounts. The problems we are having are not industry wide. Instead, all the money we are hemorrhaging are self inflicted wounds caused by years and years of poor corporate leadership and management.

All the other companies, including YRC subsidiaries are operating at a profit. YRC is just playing their usual old hand: "nevermind our screw ups, think of the employees and their families". I doubt any of it will be paid back. They literally need the money just to make payroll and pay months of health insurance premiums that they have fallen delinquent on.

My terminal manager at Reddaway said it best. "YRC is the boat anchor that is sinking all our ships.". He said this ,7 years ago. And look at them now, they get another $700 million after all this time to get their crap together. Instead, they are too busy emptying the floodwater by drilling more holes into the hull. And none of my rant has anything to do with the drivers or lower guys. But that company is too stupid to mature itself out of their reckless spending.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    jmz, Cardfan89 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I can’t wait to find out who the horses’ ### was that thought it was a good idea to load the first half of today’s run all down one side of the trailer, than the other half down the other side. :biggrin_25510:

misterG, McUzi and road_runner Thank this.
  9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Why I left Reddaway. I didn’t see anything positive to staying. Company financially, retirement, and they were doing nothing to expand runs at my terminal. While it was an easy job and laid back it wasn’t worth it. I hope this is a wake up call for people with a lot of time left til retirement. When the economy settles in a year or two I’d get out of there. When I started there I thought hey this place will rebound all the older drivers said no way. They were right. They haven’t rebound since 08 and during the best economy in HISTORY still struggled. Now they dug a bigger hole. Been gone for 3 yrs and still have friends there and they still haven’t added anymore runs.

10. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Depending how the weight is, it can make for one butt pucker of a ride. They once loaded my pup with 2k lbs worth of pallets down the driver's side and 14k worth of long steel beams down the right side.

The trailer was leaning heavily towards the right, and anytime I made a left turn the wheels would gradually go from squatting to slowly raising off the ground. I was pretty pissed that they didn't center load the beams and put the other six pallets on a separate pup. I honestly thought I came close to rolling my truck and trailer.

misterG and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  11. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    I do that all the time, if I can.

road_runner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.