Randomness of randoms

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by jimjam38, Jun 10, 2024.

1. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    I know that there is some type of database that carriers go by that randomly generates drivers who have to report for a random. I get that. However, shouldn't it only be personnel in hr/safety that know who has to report and nobody else? I ask because a driver with company was telling other drivers who was coming up for random screenings, before the driver themselves was made aware. Is that even legal?
    Also, if a driver is unavailable to test, I know there is a time limit to get them in, but doesn't the employer have to make reasonable accommodations to make sure the driver can get to the testing site before the cutoff? In other words, if the testing site stops at 4pm, you can't inform the driver at 3:30pm(especially if the site is more than 30 minutes away)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    The time limit is when the driver is informed to go test. The office may know for days, and wait for driver to be where test can happen

Opus, Studebaker Hawk and tscottme Thank this.
  4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Once with Landstar I got call asking if i still on Michigan.
    Told them I hadn’t been to michigan in months.
    They asked where i was, I told them Gary, IN.
    They made me do a random there with a high value load left in the parking lot in Gary.

Couldn’t leave the building and it was packed with other trucks and the lead one had ‘shy bladder’ so none could leave the lot for 3 hours until he could leave the building, after giving sample, you know all truck drivers are boozers and drug addicts, right?
    You leave building you’ll be wrote up as a refusal and one place, national med test, will only allow you a couple swallows of water from, because any more water will “dilute the positive sample”

5. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    I get them knowing and then notifying the driver. I'm talking about isn't there a cutoff time on the day because the courier has to puck it up to transport. Let's say FedEx makes their last pickup from clinic at 430pm. The clinic stops taking drivers at 400pm. If the carrier waits until the last possible day dot allows 30 minutes before the clinic stops taking drivers, and the driver is more than 30 minutes away, how is it the driver's fault?

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Everything is always the drivers fault, it certainly won’t be the dispatcher whom forgot to tell you in a timely manner.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Mgmt knows way ahead of time who's name is going to come up. I've had bossman (small co) tell me to get it done by Friday, this was on a Tuesday !

8. prostartom

prostartom Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2014
    We receive our random draw list and then have almost 3 months to get the drivers in for a test. That gives us plenty of time to schedule them to be in an area that is easy for them to stop and get it done. The clock doesn't really start until the driver is notified that they have been selected, then the driver has to report in a reasonable amount of time to the testing location and not leave until the process has completed.

If coworkers have knowledge of who has been chosen for randoms before the chosen drivers, then someone is safety or dispatch is breaking the regulations.

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    we could always tell you had been selected when dispatch would tell you to call safety department when you were not under a load .

the only time that dispatch ever asked you to call safety when you wernt under a load , was for safety to tell you , you had been selected for a random drug test .

10. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    The company I work for now, I got drug tested as part of the orientation process, that's normal. Then I got "randomed" 2 days later. I walked into the place and the girl looked at me and said "You're back?" I said yea, apparently it's a random. She started laughing at the absurdity of it all. I told my company if you "random" me again anytime soon I quit. I haven't been back for a drug test since and that was March of 23.

hope not dumb twucker Thanks this.
  11. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I personally like to get picked "randomly "
    It gives me a chance to catch up on my current events via the magazines and there is a Starbucks next door.
    And we get paid for ours so..

hope not dumb twucker and Jamie01 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.