Re-taking road test in manual trans straight truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Itsbrokeagain, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Itsbrokeagain

Itsbrokeagain Light Load Member

May 31, 2019
    So my company trained me for my CDL that I needed for my department. I drive a Vactor, so I'm qualified in GK, Airbrake and tanker. All of our trucks are autos, but I want to remove the manual trans restriction by taking the test again. My company won't train me on it since only the big fleet has manual tractors (people going for their A, I have a Class B) and it's not a requirement for my position. Do I have to go back to a school or is there anyone I can just train on their truck and go back to the road test on my own? I've been driving stick for pretty much my entire life with a driver's license.

Looking to buy a straight dump/triaxle and make some money on the off shifts. My training was free so I'm trying to put it to use outside my company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Google and YouTube have "CDL Test Truck Rental" information.
    You can do it this way and your company doesn't have to know about it.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Couple of points. To get the auto restriction removed you will have to do a full retest. So you will need a vehicle with manual and airbrakes. Tanker is just an endorsement.
    There are no requirements (currently) to actually take classes to get a CDL, so no need to pay someone to take classes. You will likely have to rent a truck though, maybe a Penske type place will rent a box truck for a few hours. Not really sure.

Also be careful of doing side jobs. All that work has to be logged and most companies will not allow it per policy so they don't get sued when a driver gets in a wreck and finds out they never should have been driving that day for lack of hours.

Itsbrokeagain Thanks this.
  5. Itsbrokeagain

Itsbrokeagain Light Load Member

May 31, 2019
    The full test I'm aware of. I do know one thing, is that I'm not allowed to drive TO the test site in the vehicle, one of my co-workers has to drive it. Perhaps I can pay my old instructor for a few hours of his time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.