Rebar un-securement

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Dave1837, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania

Let me start off by saying that I am by FAR a professional flatbed driver and I am NOT a seasoned driver, I'm still fresh and have a lot to learn.

Time and time again I see drivers secure rebar like this and take off down the road. Throwing straps strictly over the top of a rebar load does nothing but secure the 2 bundles on each end. If you look at a load that is secured as mentioned above, you'll see that the straps don't even touch the bundles in the middle, leaving them NOT secured. What I have learned is, throw your straps over top, as many as necessary. Then, run straps underneath of the bundles on the side, and then up through, then over the middle bundles and down the other side. Heck, I even put 2 chains on the front of the load. This stuff is nothing to lightly secure!! It's like hauling needles that weigh 1k lbs a piece!

kylefitzy, D.Tibbitt and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That could’ve been deadly. :eek:

When you strap rebar, aren’t you supposed to weave the straps between the bundles?

Coffey, D.Tibbitt and Dave1837 Thank this.
  4. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Yep! That's what I meant to say but couldn't think of a word to describe it lol

D.Tibbitt and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    It is a good idea to make a headboard out of dunnage in the front and rear. Some shippers require it and provide the dunnage at no charge.

6. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    One of the reasons I personally think having a headache rack with a flat bed should be law.

Tb0n3, FLHT, tommymonza and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Farmtractor9900

Farmtractor9900 Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2020
    You need to belly wrap it (choke it).

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Good ol rebar , hauled enough of it to make me puke.... First things first, straps and rebar dont mix. This is a chain load for me always . The only exception would be painted pre fab stuff they dont want scratched, which this doesnt appear to be.... Driver is lucky to be alive and not have his head stuck on the end of one of those bundles.

9. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I agree on the chains. This time of year the place I haul out of always wants it tarped, I use straps so that way I don't have to un-do the tarp to tighten everything up after a couple miles. I always have chains on the front though. I've seen guys roll out of there with a 48 ft load with 5 straps total as securement. They'll learn like this guy did I guess

MACK E-6 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I agree. Might not stop a coil but a decently built headache rack would at least offer another layer for material to try and get through.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Id say if it gets tarped then straps definatly make life easier .. But id probably throw 10 plus straps with a couple belly wraps in that situation just to be safe. Rebar is one of those loads u dont mess around.. Always over secure it and drive like you have a gun pointed at u , one wrong move and ur dead

cke, beastr123, tommymonza and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.