Rebar un-securement

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Dave1837, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Say there's 6 bundles. Go over the 2 on the side, under the 2 in the middle, then over the 2 on the other side. Then on your next strap do the opposite, under, over, under. I do that the whole length of the trailer. Everyone has their own procedure though

rccarlson22 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you start under the material, then go over the top to anchor points, you get a 2fer. You get squeeze and down force.

D.Tibbitt, rccarlson22 and beastr123 Thank this.
  4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Maybe I’m misunderstanding you. If you go over the load, around the load, and down to the other side you get that same “squeeze” action but much more down force because your straps are pulling downward at a more vertical angle.

When you go under the load, around the load, and back under the load, your straps are nearly horizontal and providing almost zero down pressure.

See the chains and straps on these ingots. They wouldn’t be doing much if the under the load instead of over. In my opinion. 9D5863C7-55D1-4A9F-A9B8-2B81AD6D70C4.jpeg 9AF120B0-8EFC-4B0F-B44A-9BD35145DF1E.jpeg

5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Your strap should always pass by each other on the top of the load. I like to lay my strap flat on the deck before loading, then toss the ends over after loading.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You guys mean after all those years we were hauling rebar wrong? We never even carried chains and binders.

65EBE283-C300-4701-B132-7BFA27718A47.jpeg

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Looks like someone discovered the error of their ways.
    shot-2020-12-30_05-20-49.png

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Its just personal preference . If u get down the road safely and secured then thats the right way... i just wont throw straps on rebar unless its required

FerrissWheel, cke and truckguy391 Thank this.
  9. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Oh so me of all people missed the rebar thread.

Ive done many loads of rebar much like @D.Tibbitt over the years.

Even did a dedicated account hauling it for like 6 months cause I had the extended frame and the precast account ended.

Anyway, ive seen rebar secured 10,000 ways, some better than others. Frankly the overlength stuff is the safest, it has a tendency to sag against its dunnage, and towards each end. Long rebar imo is the safest.

The really thin stuff though, usually more sloppily bundled and rarely butted up against each other well.

Our rule of thumb was if you made the rebar smile it wont go anywhere.

My preferred method was always to have a choke chain, front back and middle, and make up the difference in straps for 60ft+. And my front and rear dunnage was always extra high to produce both and arch in the rebar, and to hopefully keeping the stuff from flopping into my lines or onto the road. If youve driven socal enough, youve seen 10ft of ROH hit the ground at least once.

But I always choked rebar to make it one giant bundle. Used a snap binder to intially pull the bundle tight on one side, then would go to the other and rachet it till it was truly all together. Sounds like alot of work, but it generally didn't take me much longer than everyone else.

And yes I absolutely Hammered the brakes at least more than once.

As long as you dont skewer yourself, your doing something right though. Ive seen all straps do just fine. I prefer to have my chokers. Just depends on the rebar really.

Just dont be the idiot that throws two straps on 60footers and goes. Can verify that does not work.

For shorter stuff you cant beat a dunnage barrier for that extra bit of protection.

But thats my take. At the very least cover your bloody length rule. And dunnage placement can really help.

truckguy391, cke, beastr123 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Cough cough white mountain trucking Lol. Those guys are the worst . I was behind one of them on i15 in st george , dude had the super thin bars , like 10ft of overhang just throwing sparks everywhere, each time he hit a bump

cke and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  11. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Lol, yeah ive seen more than one of those guys throw sparks.

But theres a few Cali based carriers that are always bouncing against the pavement.

cke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  12. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I've literally seen a guy throw 2 straps on a 60 foot load and take off down the road lol

I just picked up a lumber load from Baltimore earlier this week, 6 stop load. They put a bunch of different lumber on, then 4 bundles of rebar! I was like WTF is this lol I can't seem to get away from the stuff

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.