Receiver refused a load. What is the next?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NewRoute, Jun 19, 2017.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I have to agree, the Island isn't that bad. The further out you go, the better it gets.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's actually a piece of cake delivering on long Island but I always charge a high rate just for the headache and tolls getting there.. ..the once every 2 or 3 years I go there.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We had been given a load to Mt Olive in MN, I think cucumbers or a particular type similar to those. They needed to be kept at a temperature.

We picked up the trailer in the lancaster yard and it was running at a particular temp and thirsty on fuel. Got that settled. (The low fuel should have been a clue to check further...) anyhow the trailer developed an odor by the time it reached MN around the 4 corner holes. Opened the door at the facility and the collective reaction made it clear this product will not make it to the human consumption, it was all bad.

It ended up going to a nearby landfill, took it onto the scale, then up top after they paved and built a sort of ramp to back to. (Those grades are not made for loaded 18 wheelers, I had to sort of make do something for which there is no training possible..) the product went out the trailer to be tossed into the pile of trash and back down we went to get a scale empty weight and to find a mother of all trailer washes, this was one ruined trailer.

A comcheck went out for 1100 dollars that day probably to cover the fees for that weight dumped into the fill. I think the broker paid it And the company OSD made sure we did not get billed or paychecks taken for that load. Mt Olive still did not have any product to start a production run for a while. So I guess someone in Texas has to find more product from another farm and get it shipped.

Many weeks later we had a birdie say the man responsible for checking fuel levels and reefer temps probably was ultimately made responsible as that unit probably died and was so long that the product spoiled. At that point any amount of reefer cooling would not save it as many of you know once you introduce heat calorie energy into or out of a product after you take away a failed cooling that's it. It's no good. No one is going to want it. Throw it away.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's the getting out there that is the key. I forget exact which interchange number but it's connected to the old Throgs neck bridge. If you were returning, you went out the same way and then the GWB. If you tried to go downtown, you are going to end up on Mahnatten itself and no one wants a big truck on that island anyway.

6. Chris50

Chris50 Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    Just finished a load of watermelons from FL(home) to outside Chicago. I pull a van and receiver didnt even look at the melons. I unloaded them, they let me use a powered pallet jack, first time, it wasnt bad at all. Appointment was 3am on Sunday so i knew agent wouldnt answer to tell me he would reimburse for lumper. Of course monday when i called him he said, oh, the customer would of paid, oops... He added $200 for unload; I didnt tell him they let me use the power equipment.

Socal Xpress and passingthru69 Thank this.
  7. NewRoute

NewRoute Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2014
    I would like to share the end of our story.
    Next morning after the day when the load was rejected and we refused to go to Long Island, we were informed that broker has another place for delivery. It was approx. 100 miles away south of NY State. He paid as $4 per mile, but no layover because we refused go to the Long Island. I think, this is not too bad.
    Thanks everyone.

8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Thank you for putting this to bed. I don't pull refer but sounds like the best of a bad situation.

NewRoute, HalpinUout and Ezrider_48501 Thank this.
  9. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I'd seriously consider getting another driver. Long Island isn't really bad at all. I despise NYC but driving is driving and if the rate is there it's good money.

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Recently I got a call offering $4 pm to go to NY. I do go upstate NY pretty often and nobody usually pays that much from MI. Asked her for the zip code, she said 10001. I was like "####, that's the mother of all zip codes!".
    Thanks, but no, even for $5pm lol

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    $25,000 I would take it
    Then I'd sell it to ruthless or 'olhand for 24,000

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.